Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on Cobham?

(22 Posts)
CobhamBound Fri 28-Oct-16 13:33:36

The new username says it all really!

Seriously considering a move from SW London down to Cobham and would like general information please.

I went exploring last week and there seems to be a nice atmosphere/v friendly and good transport links.

No need for info on primaries but secondaries if poss. (Year 8 boy)

TIA smile

NotCitrus Fri 28-Oct-16 13:41:23

Are you happy driving a lot, and assuming so, can you avoid rush hour mainly? Are you looking for state or private schools?

CobhamBound Fri 28-Oct-16 13:50:25

Oh sorry, state schools.

Yes, I love driving! I teach in London and I'm used to leaving home by about half 6 so that's no problem. The drive home will be trickier but not a deal breaker. Thanks.

specialsubject Fri 28-Oct-16 15:20:44

Kent or Surrey?

CobhamBound Fri 28-Oct-16 16:43:07

Surrey smile

titchy Fri 28-Oct-16 16:50:40

Good transport? You must know something no one else does - public transport is non existent! State schools - well there's the free school if you don't mind no permanent building and kids being bussed to an old primary site 5 miles away.

Suggest you look at Claygate/Hinchley Wood...

mummytime Fri 28-Oct-16 17:52:57

I wouldn't if looking for State schools (secondary), the Free school is a long way away at present. And the schools students used to go to don't have room at present. I would go for Claygate/Hinchley Wood myself (and I live further out).

BitOutOfPractice Fri 28-Oct-16 17:55:16

I thought this was a baby name thread and was going to say I wasn't keen! grin

Fairybust Fri 28-Oct-16 18:35:49

I agree of you can afford private s hook then Cobham is nice ut is very £££££

CobhamBound Fri 28-Oct-16 20:30:14

Ha ha ttc at the moment but it's not on the list grin

When I said transport I meant the trainline to Clapham Junction where I work.

I wonder if I'll just keep his London school place for now. It's down the road from my mum's.

Food for thought, I'll check out Claygate.

Luckily not too worried about £ as we're getting family help but thank you smile

mummytime Fri 28-Oct-16 21:47:06

You do realise the station is not in Cobham but a couple of miles out in the countryside at Stoke d'abernon? Claygate or Oxshot are much better for transport.

RandomMess Fri 28-Oct-16 21:53:39

I thought the issue with Claygate is that you are in a no-mans land for secondary schools???

TBH there is a shortage of state places all over that area so a bit of a catch 22!

titchy Fri 28-Oct-16 21:56:16

Claygate in catchment for two secondaries now! And has a TfL bus service - invaluable for teens.

notagiraffe Fri 28-Oct-16 21:58:03

Howard of Effingham secondary is amazing. It's always oversubscribed and you'd not be in catchment. But we were way out of catchment and still offered places at the last minute (didn't take them up but was amazed that happened.)

Claygate is divided between Hinchley Wood and Esher High, constantly oversubscribed. A lot of people in the area go private. But better transport than Cobham (train station in village and regular bus service.)

But Cobham is lovely.

CobhamBound Sun 30-Oct-16 14:53:12

Many thanks for all the info.

Apologies for the delayed reply, I changed my name for this thread and had some trouble switching back to it.

We have decided to stick with Cobham as we have friends in the area and the distance of the station is not a deal breaker as dh is getting a fully insured work vehicle so can take me there no problem.

Ds will keep his London school place for now. We've not actually found a place to live yet so will cross that bridge when we get to it!

mummytime Sun 30-Oct-16 15:32:28

Cobham is a nice place, nice shops and coffee shops. But it is the location of Chelsea's trading ground which has pushed prices up. So you get less for your money than neighbouring places.
State primaries are fine but there is a lack of secondary provision, the free school at present is the other side of the A3 and doesn't a site to move to (and is small and untried).
There are other places nearby that are just as nice but more convenient, and fine for seeing friends in Cobham.

Although if you are set on it and may be able to afford Private for secondary, then good luck with house hunting.

CobhamBound Sun 30-Oct-16 15:41:08

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's why I'm going to keep the London school place for ds for the time being.

We currently live with my mum in sw london and ds is excited to move but realistically he would spend a night or two here a week as it's down the road from his school and he often does sport before school.

He's a teenager and my mum would be more than pleased for that to happen so we are comfortable with it.

My dh's new job requires no weekend shifts and as a teacher I have my weekends free so we feel that we'd get a lot of quality time as a family on the weekends. Slightly unusual I know but as I said, we're comfortable with it.

CobhamBound Sun 30-Oct-16 15:43:51

I just realised that I had already said that ds is a teenager because he's in secondary school, doh!

What I mean is that I wouldn't leave a younger child overnight so regularly elsewhere if that makes sense!

DarkBlueEyes Sun 30-Oct-16 15:46:07

I've not long moved to Esher. Welcome to the area! It's a lovely part of the world and lots of great schools.

previously1474907171 Sun 30-Oct-16 23:16:18

I like Cobham as a town, good selection of shops, Farmers Market,can't comment on schools. I would live there if I could but left the area a few years ago.

One thing to watch is the flooding, check carefully if the part you are looking at would be affected.

sarahd100 Fri 04-Nov-16 15:08:40

Esher is probably better than Cobham for commuting and is a lovely town - lots of nice restaurants/ bars and green space. I grew up there and loved it as a child!

BagelGoesWalking Fri 04-Nov-16 15:26:43

I would imagine Cobham is now (even more) overpriced because of footballers around.

I would look at Hersham, Esher, Walton areas - more choice for 6th form schooling when your DS needs it. Even Bookham and Byfleet are worth looking at but train links not as good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now