Talk

Advanced search

Retaining wall damaged by neighbours blocked toilet

(6 Posts)

I've finally got our local water company to come and investigate why our carport has been wet and stinky for months, with water coming through the retaining wall from our elderly neighbour. I had previously spoken to the neighbour and her adult daughter about the problem and was assured that it was 'fine' and had 'always been like that'. We bought our house 20 months ago and the amount of water coming through has been getting worse over time. The water board came out today and found the neighbours downstairs toilet sewage line was blocked, and had been for so long that it was completely dry, so the waste from her toilet has been leaking under her paving and straight into our carport. In the time this has been happening, the wall has moved a bit at the top and is soaked and damaged. The water company have unblocked her sewer although it's her responsibility not theirs, and hopefully everything will now dry out. What should my next steps be if the wall doesn't straighten up and is as damaged as it seems? Elderly neighbour doesn't give a toss as long as her new drive isn't damaged. sad

YelloDraw Mon 24-Oct-16 10:05:30

Next step is to contact your home insurance company.

Hufflepuffin Mon 24-Oct-16 10:07:39

It should be covered by her house insurance but I don't know if you contact them or she has to. Maybe ring your insurer and ask?

Coughingchildren5 Mon 24-Oct-16 16:13:06

Your insurance company will take it all up for you.

Thanks all, have spoken at length to insurers. Ours won't cover it, their legal advice line advise it would be a civil claim to get her to pay for anything. So our options are pay lots of money we don't have or sue a lady in her 80s who is housebound, has severe disabilities, is profoundly deaf and prone to ulcers on her legs. I'm not sure I can be that person!

misson Mon 24-Oct-16 18:31:46

I would discuss with her adult daughter. I wouldn't want to be that person either. It needs to be sorted though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now