Talk

Advanced search

Help - Smoky temporary home during renovation :(

(6 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Mon 24-Oct-16 07:51:57

We're in a pickle and I don't know what to do / can't decide if I'm being overly neurotic.

The house we bought knowing it was a renovation project (only house we could afford in a decent catchment area round here but based on survey we thought it was manageable) has turned out to be much more work. Think bath coming through ceiling, black mould, joist issues etc .All can be resolved...but not all easily with us plus 2 v active small children in the property.

Because the work is so over what we originally expected, our finances are going to be crippled. Meaning we can't possibly afford a B&B or even caravan whilst the work is done.

My mum incredibly kindly offered us her 1 bed flat for the duration of the works, she's moving in with her long-term bf whilst we are there. This would be a godsend...except she is a huge chain smoker, inside the flat. I can't even describe how much it smells. We had all windows open, sprays, spent all night scrubbing and cleaning but it seems completely ingrained into the place. Our hair and clothes reek and I can feel my throat / chest full of it. It's in every room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, the lot.

It's bad enough for me and DH but I'm so worried what damage it could do to the kids. We are looking to be there 3 weeks max whilst the most invasive work is done, then move home.

What would you do / think? sad

ThursdayLastWeek Mon 24-Oct-16 07:57:16

Do you have any other option?

A few weeks of secondary smoke won't do lasting damage I shouldn't have thought. I grew up in a house like that.

BertieBotts Mon 24-Oct-16 08:02:18

It's unpleasant but I don't think it will be doing damage to the DC, not for three weeks.

Wash the curtains and try sugar soap on the ceilings, but you won't get it all away. Just try to go out as much as possible?

BertieBotts Mon 24-Oct-16 08:02:58

It's probably less dangerous to their health than black mould, anyway.

BoyMeetsWorld Mon 24-Oct-16 08:10:21

Thank you, that's reassuring.

Yes we are out in the day - only there for about 2 hours in the eve then sleep.

specialsubject Mon 24-Oct-16 09:46:05

No real risk of harm. Although extra stinky sprays wont help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now