Talk

Advanced search

Crystal Palace v Beckenham - commute?

(17 Posts)
saraholdtimernewname Sun 23-Oct-16 13:57:52

Looking to move from a flat in East London to the south east of the city in pursuit of a family home with garden. Main areas are Crystal Palace or Beckenham (Kent House station). There is a house in each area we love but they are very different. My heart wants Crystal Palace but the commute to my work (Warren St, DP in Westminster) appears to be an hour, versus 45 from Kent House.
I love the feel of Crystal Palace, the house is amazing, great community, huge garden. But my commute looks like it'd be an hour.

Kent House and the surrounding areas of eg Penge doesn't feel as naice, though the house is virtually as big (smaller garden). The commute would be 45 mins thanks to the fast train to Victoria.

Does anyone live in these areas and commute in? Any opinions on that? And generally, how much of a priority should the commute be? If we love a place, is 15 mins extra each way worth it? Thank you.

JoJoSM2 Sun 23-Oct-16 14:58:23

Have you checked the local schools? Perhaps that could swing it either way? A 1h commute seems ok by London standards.

saraholdtimernewname Sun 23-Oct-16 15:45:40

Thanks for the reply and that's a useful idea. Sounds like both have good local options but also that these things change (and in these areas, improve) so quickly.

YelloDraw Mon 24-Oct-16 10:13:43

Not sure 1h v 45 mins is a big enough difference in commute time to go for an area you don't like as much?

I would also look at the 'quality' of commute rather than the pure time. How packed are the trains? How frequent are they? How often are they cancelled and delayed? Will you get a seat?

The 'quality' of commute is something I didn't look at and have gone from an incredible nice 30 min commute (always with a seat) to a 35 min jam packed never get a seat commute and the detriment to quality of life is much more than the additional 5 mins!

IminaPickle Mon 24-Oct-16 10:21:25

Crystal palace is lovely!

JoJoSM2 Mon 24-Oct-16 10:33:07

Yes, the quality of commute is very important. In the past, my husband used to commute from zones 2 and 3 into central London and it was awful. Usually, he couldn't even get on the first train or tube and then he'd be tightly pressed against other passengers. He also needed to change. Now that we live in zone 5, he loves it. The commute is some 15 mins longer but he gets onto a fairly empty train, gets a table seat by the window and takes his laptop out. He gets off a 3min walk from the office having done a bit of work, which means he doesn't need to stay late as much.

bummyknocker Mon 24-Oct-16 22:47:38

The kent house line is very reliable and quick, trains are busy but frequent.
You also have to option of Clock Hose not too far as a route into Waterloo and London Bridge so that area is great for commuters. Its on the 'up' too, and you have the option of Penge or Beckenham for shopping (can you tell I live here?)
I'd go with your gut and the house / area you really want.

saraholdtimernewname Mon 24-Oct-16 22:48:04

Thanks for the feedback. We are erring towards Crystal Palace because we just love it more and 30 mins a day seems worth it. If there are any more people around who live in CP I'd love to hear how you find the trains and the general area!

OhMrsQ Mon 24-Oct-16 22:51:00

Hi Sarah.
I lived in CP for about 9 years and loved it. Especially once the East London line to Penge West and CP was up and running. Definitely do it. Its the most lovely place smile

sm40 Mon 24-Oct-16 22:55:39

We lived in Kent house. Loved it. Moved away for schools and slightly more space. Miss the transport links. Clock House, busses, tram, east London line from penge west. Lots of parks, Beckenham is lovely and even penge has useful shops (wilko!). Do you have kids? Do look at schools but it all does change.
You can always get the 227 bus to cp if you want to go to the bars there!

loraflora Fri 28-Oct-16 23:31:16

I live in CP and am biased in its favour. That said, go with your gut and the house you like the most. I don't think you'll be making a bad choice either way. Commuting wise I work from home, but DH commutes. If your commute includes the Overground it's an advantage that it's the last stop on the line as you can generally get a seat.

SilverSixpence Fri 04-Nov-16 11:16:33

Kent House definitely. We live just 5 minutes away and it is brilliant - also New Beckenham line gets us into London Bridge/Charing cross in 20 mins, and overground is very close which is a huge advantage too. Two outstanding primaries very nearby too. We moved from the Penge side of Kent House to the Kings Hall road side as it is beautiful and quiet, it feels like a completely different area.

washingsomuchwashing Fri 04-Nov-16 16:35:20

We live quite close to Kent House and really like it!

BratFarrarsPony Fri 04-Nov-16 16:36:21

I do not know Beckenham but am a big fan of Crystal Palace.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 04-Nov-16 16:37:37

I live one stop down.

I'd say if the commuting links are down (strikes etc) then Overground (ginger line) runs from Crystal Palace as do lots of buses to west end or tube stations.

ah just saw what Silver says - I have known people who lived in Kent House and like it a lot

SuperFlyHigh Fri 04-Nov-16 16:39:03

I live in Upper Norwood OP which is one stop down from Crystal Palace - with young families area is great, affordable and lots to do.

myself would prefer it from Beckenham because not a huge fan of going out in Beckenham but that's me.

SuperFlyHigh Fri 04-Nov-16 16:39:55

Penge certainly is not naice even in past few years not improved much! I always get a seat on the Gipsy Hill train too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now