Talk

Advanced search

Removed Karndean-type flooring but floorboards covered in concrete screed - is this salvageable?

(7 Posts)
SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 15:18:49

Really wanted to strip the floorboards but it's a mess. Is there an easy way of doing this or should be save ourselves the hassle and get something like engineered wood?

PigletJohn Sat 22-Oct-16 16:41:47

not keen on concrete screed over floorboards, I fear it would crack. Has yours cracked? How thick is it?

What is your target floor finish?

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 16:53:49

Target finish is (was?) bare boards to sand and then wax/oil/paint whatever.

The screed is leftover from the Karndean which was there so, yes, that is very cracked. Unless you meant the boards? I'm just wondering if we're wasting our time trying to remove it as it'll just be too hard to get the floor in a good enough state to sand.

PigletJohn Sat 22-Oct-16 17:01:29

I've never tried, but if it is a cement-based screed, it will probably come off with a metal scraper. If it is cracked I can't see that it will be a good base for any other type of floor and you might have to take the old boards up to get rid of it.

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 17:07:44

When you say "it" do you mean the floor(boards)? I think they're fine. Don't think we could face replacing the boards - this was meant to be a quick project grin. Thanks.

ApplesTheHare Sat 22-Oct-16 17:32:19

No chance unless you replace the floorboards unfortunately. We did our Karndean ourselves and you have to put loads of screed down.

SwedishEdith Sat 22-Oct-16 17:41:48

Thanks - how depressing. Might have been better to paint the Karndean!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now