Talk

Advanced search

What is the cost of replacing a whole garden fence? I am completely clueless!

(9 Posts)
liletsthepink Fri 21-Oct-16 11:03:46

We need new fence panels and posts through the side and back of our garden which is about 70 feet in length by 30 foot wide. The garden currently has 6 foot panels (with many holes and rotten bits!) which seems about the right height.

I don't know if costs vary in different regions but we are in the south east.

How much should our budget be? Is £2,000 enough or will it be more?

Thanks for any help or advice.

Thecontentedcat Fri 21-Oct-16 11:07:08

Depends where you are, ours was £2.5k and they did a fantastic job, garden is a bit bigger than yours though.

Thecontentedcat Fri 21-Oct-16 11:07:25

We are southeast too.

ShortLass Fri 21-Oct-16 17:19:51

I had a quote for 7 panels and associated fence posts which was £900+.

I was shocked because I thought it would be about £200 (it was supposed to be a repair, but for some reason they wanted to replace the lot).

I mentioned this to a friend who had her fence done and she brought out the bill and it was more than £400 for her smaller fence (5 panels, I think). She's in north, I'm in south. Hope that helps.

liletsthepink Fri 21-Oct-16 21:12:42

Thank you for your replies. I have a better idea of the cost involved now.

PigletJohn Fri 21-Oct-16 23:09:07

if you're paying for new posts, I strongly recommend the concrete ones. They cost more and are heavy to carry, but unlike modern softwood posts they will not rot and snap off near ground level at an inconvenient time. Add concrete gravel boards if you can afford it.

If you wish, you can paint them with masonry paint. Mine are "dark chocolate" to blend in with the brown fence stain.

Once a wooden post has snapped off, it is very difficult to put in a new one, because there will be a great lump of concrete buried in the ground exactly where you need to dig.

liletsthepink Fri 21-Oct-16 23:31:27

Thank you, PigletJohn. I intend to get concrete posts because I want the fence to last a long time. I like the idea of painting the posts to match, it will improve the appearance.

FlamingoSnuffle Sat 22-Oct-16 08:40:44

We had a quote for 7 panels, 6ft tall, with concrete boards and concrete posts, not cheapest panels but the next grade up so slightly more robust (to match in with a repair we undertook a year ago) and it was £800 but I'm in Leeds.

That is to remove the existing wooden posts and panels and replace with new.

johnd2 Sat 22-Oct-16 16:54:06

That's an amazingly sensible idea to paint the posts, our neighbours put in concrete posts and concrete bottom panels and it looks terrible, although mostly covered by plants. Painting would really help.
Technically the fence is ours, apparently the previous owners couldn't afford it so the next door people did it for free.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now