Talk

Advanced search

Worst Limescale on my shower screen ever :(

(23 Posts)
danielnorris26 Thu 20-Oct-16 18:51:29

Hi all i really need some advice,

We recently moved house and our master bedroom is really nice and modern and I love it except for the dreadful shower screen which is like nothing i have ever seen.

I have used everything from vinegar and lemon juices to alchol to cif, cillet bang and proffesional limescale removers but i apply and use a sponge to rub it in and every time as soon as i use a glass cloth to dry it, EVERYTIME, Im left afain with the same amount of lime scale as before. Its like nothing i have ever experienced before.

Anyone have any helpful ideas or been in the same situation. I have no more ideas, Thank you

ophiotaurus Thu 20-Oct-16 19:12:43

Are you sure the glass isn't scratched and has lost its shine?

JT05 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:14:39

The only thing I can suggest is to make a paste with vinegar and bi carbonate of soda and apply it to the screen. You will need a lot! Maybe do a bit at a time.
Leave it on for some time to let it work on the scale. Other than that anew screen. Might be cheaper than the wholesale quantities of vinegar and bi carb!

BerylStreep Thu 20-Oct-16 19:14:46

Get a new shower screen?

fluffikins Thu 20-Oct-16 19:19:22

I find limescale gels are the best for this, leave on for a good while and then use the scratchy side of the sponge to work it in and then squeegee off rather than sponge it off

ProseccoBitch Thu 20-Oct-16 19:20:20

Have you tried Viakal?

Laineymc7 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:21:47

I agree viakal is very good.

ChristmasAccountant Thu 20-Oct-16 19:24:04

Another vote for viakal

historyismything Thu 20-Oct-16 19:27:00

Try bar keepers friend! It's brilliant!!

bonzo77 Thu 20-Oct-16 19:34:08

If it's not shifting then it might well be scratched. You can get new ones for a shower over a bath, for around £50 and they're not that hard to fit. Or remove it and put a curtain up.

lalalonglegs Thu 20-Oct-16 19:54:15

Spirit of salts but you have to be very careful as it is quite strong acid. Thick rubber gloves, a little on a sponge goes a long way and keep the place ventilated.

Pineau Thu 20-Oct-16 20:01:29

Spray neat vinegar onto sheets of kitchen roll and leave for a few hours , make sure they are saturated and smooth onto the glass.

notbobmarley Thu 20-Oct-16 20:21:39

I had a similar problem tried everything, inc bicarbonate and various mixtures. Final thing was the liquid lime scale cleaner in a blue bottle from Lidl just wiped it all off no problem.

dontpokethebear Thu 20-Oct-16 20:24:11

Try any of the above but with a metal scourer.

JoJoSM2 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:29:47

I've always used a professional remover. I wouldn't rub it in but spraygenerously, leave for, say, 15 min and repeat.

Ditsy4 Thu 20-Oct-16 20:30:19

Try a mixture of fairy and vinegar. It worked for me recommended on here. I had tried the vinegar but it didn't work until I put about half and half

TheKingAndI Thu 20-Oct-16 20:41:02

This stuff is truly magnificent: HG Hagesan 500ml 3 x Stronger Scale Away

Available on Amazon, works so well and the limescale stays away for ages.

SlottedSpoon Thu 20-Oct-16 20:46:50

If it's that bad then just buy a new showerscreen. Think of all the money you'll save on cleaning products and all the hours in your life you will get back.

Sounds like you are in a very hard water area so either get a water softener or get a new screen with one of those limescale repellent coatings on it.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 20-Oct-16 21:21:22

Dynamic Descaler. An industrial descaler but it has to be bought in decent quantity. Ask your neighbours to chip in and take some.

namechangealerttt Fri 21-Oct-16 06:27:15

If it is flat smooth glass I have had success with a paint scraper for windows.

cherrytree63 Fri 21-Oct-16 07:05:30

As PPs said, Viakal or the Lidl version are very good.

SquinkiesRule Fri 21-Oct-16 08:09:52

Dh had success with a razor. It peeling layers of soap scum off it was pretty gross.

Fairylea Fri 21-Oct-16 08:11:38

We live in a very hard water area and we ditched the screen and went back to having a shower curtain. Much nicer and easily replaceable! Asda and b and q do some really nice ones now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now