Soil pipes & side return extension

(6 Posts)
Yeeyeelovesraaraa Tue 18-Oct-16 22:44:52

We have a victorian cottage with front & rear sitting rooms plus a narrow galley kitchen at the back. It has been previously extended beyond the kitchen to add a dining room, utility/rear entrance & conservatory right the way across the back, the extension being wider than the original house.

Looking at possibility to extendinto the side return but not sure if its possible because bathroom is above kitchen & soil pipe comes down the outside of the kitchen wall. We can't easily move it to the back wall because of the existing dining room extension & the position of the toilet. Has anyone had this issue & how did you overcome it? Is it possible to run it internally (boxed in) somehow? What about smells/drainage problems?

johnd2 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:57:52

We basically had that problem but with a semi, the neighbour wasn't happy to have it in the shared drive so we're going to have it boxed in in the kitchen.
Apparently more expensive for foundations and less maintainable, but still fine.

WetDogLovesHubert Wed 19-Oct-16 09:08:34

We are in the midst of a side return extension now and have the same setup. The soil pipe is being boxed in internally - that way you can still access it if necessary, but we won't get smells because it's a modern standard pipe (no smells) and the boxing adds a double layer of insulation. If you find a good builder, they will know how to deal with it.

YelloDraw Wed 19-Oct-16 10:34:23

It is boxed in my kitchen extension with cupboard doors to access it.

Yeeyeelovesraaraa Sat 22-Oct-16 20:34:57

Ah thanks for your replies, sounds like it shouldn't be too much of a problem then!

SpringSpringSpring Mon 24-Oct-16 12:50:35

Just to say thanks for asking this! Whenever I idly wonder about getting the same kind of extension I have got stuck on the pipes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now