Talk

Advanced search

Noise of running water in bathroom

(15 Posts)
Sharpkat Tue 18-Oct-16 22:30:05

Really weird one here but before I ask landlord if I can get a plumber out.

Live in a 2nd floor flat. Never had this before but there has for the last 2 weeks been the noise of running water through the pipes in the bathroom. Keeping me awake at night. No leaks anywhere. Can just hear water in the pipes.

Any ideas.

Tia

mineofuselessinformation Tue 18-Oct-16 22:38:14

Check your toilet.
Mine sounds like running water if the button in the top doesn't rise up after flushing. (According to Pigletjohn they are rubbish!)
I jiggle mine until I feel it come up and the noise stops.

Akire Tue 18-Oct-16 22:41:56

How many flats above you? I live in flats all shower/bath and toilet pipes are in line so if it's quiet you can hear water going down pipes as must be reasonable close together only joined by your side pipe into main.

Bellabelloo Tue 18-Oct-16 22:42:03

We had a leak under the floorboards and only knew about it as we could hear water running through the pipes. Maybe check your water meter to see if it is spinning? X

melibu84 Tue 18-Oct-16 22:44:44

We had a similar problem for ages, and our water bill was a bit high. Turns out that something was leaking (really sorry, I can't remember what!). Since then, our water bill has more than halved! I'd say definitely check your water meter if you can (we couldn't, because of where it was) and ask if a plumber can come out to check the system. I wish we had, we were overpaying for ages.

Sharpkat Tue 18-Oct-16 22:55:09

Thanks all.

Been here 5 years and ever heard it before. No water meter so cannot check that.

Flushed toilet and noise has stopped so it could be that.

The mystery goes on

Sharpkat Tue 18-Oct-16 22:58:26

Water running through pipes come back now after toilet has been flushed but cannot see anything on toilet tank to press

Should add that whenever I run water in this flat the water pump makes the most horrific noise. Have had it replaced but no one can sleep in room with water tank as it is so noisy and neighbours have complained.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 01:40:08

open the lid of the WC cistern and take some photos. I expect it is the fill valve. With luck the design will be that overflowing water runs down into the WC pan and thence to drain. If so, you will see if you squirt coloured WC cleaner round the pan that the overflow water washes it away.

If it is spilling onto the floor you have a serious problem and you need to turn off the water and get it fixed.

It is not normal for the pump to run except when you are having a shower. Without a pump the water should flow quietly out of the taps, but at rather low pressure.

Perhaps the owner used a low-budget plumber.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 01:41:34

p.s.

if your WC cistern is hidden in the wall or tiled over, the person who decided to do it that way is an ignorant buffoon.

Sharpkat Wed 19-Oct-16 11:57:37

Photos attached. Definitely not WC. Have done the test with coloured disinfectant and it was not washed away. No water on floor anywhere.

Second photo is where I can hear the noise in the pipes.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 15:28:03

no, that type of flush doesn't overflow into the pan.

There will (should) be, but I can't see it on the photo, a white plastic overflow pipe coming out of the cistern. If you can see a line marked "water level" on the back wall of the cistern, is the actual water level at that line? The top of the overflow pipe will be higher than the line, and slightly lower than the hole for the flushing handle.

In your cistern, it might rise vertically, close to the orange float, and may be symmetrical with the vertical plastic stem of the water inlet.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 15:28:47

blue float, not orange.

melibu84 Thu 20-Oct-16 10:27:24

Ours used to make noise after we flushed the toilet too. get a plumber to check the whole system between the toilet and the water tank. The problem we had was related to our water tank.

Sharpkat Mon 24-Oct-16 14:36:37

Thanks everyone. Finally got a plumber out. My ball valve has gone which is why it is constantly running. Hopefully he can fix it.

Sharpkat Mon 24-Oct-16 22:11:13

New ball valve installed and no more noise! Am delighted. Really appreciate all of the advice offered here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now