Talk

Advanced search

Lighting in bedrooms

(16 Posts)
alltheworld Tue 18-Oct-16 20:28:54

Am having loft converted and thought now would be the time to upgrade the single pendant lights in the bedrooms below to spotlights. What do people think? If so, how many and where? Rooms are about 10 by 11 foot

JoJoSM2 Tue 18-Oct-16 23:27:26

I'd say that's more of a botch than an update. You could go for some ambient wall lights to improve the bedrooms.

alltheworld Wed 19-Oct-16 19:55:35

Thanks that is really helpful.. As spots will be in the loft bedrooms I thought that was thedone thing...is it now passé?

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 20:02:35

you're not thinking of cutting holes in the ceilings, I hope?

Parietal Wed 19-Oct-16 20:08:15

Spotlights can be very bright and aggressive. I'd stick with a regular ceiling light.

Artandco Wed 19-Oct-16 20:11:24

I wouldn't want spotlights in my bedroom

We have lamps next to beds, four wall up lighters, and a floor brighter light over by reading chair and desk. Also have a chandiler thing in the middle but actually rarely turn it on

superram Wed 19-Oct-16 20:22:59

You only have spotlights in lofts because of the low ceiling height. They are quite harsh and I wouldn't change my pendant lights

Believeitornot Wed 19-Oct-16 20:24:26

Leave your pendant lights. Or just switch to newer shades. Spotlights are for bathrooms and kitchens?

oleoleoleole Wed 19-Oct-16 20:24:35

I don't get the whole in the ceiling spot light thing. They're a pain in the arse to change a bulb and are office lighting to me! Bedroom lighting, soft and dimmable IMO.

alltheworld Wed 19-Oct-16 20:46:39

Oh dear....pigletjohn..why wouldn't I want to cut holes in my ceilings?
The pendant lights are so gloomy...clearly though I know nothing about lighting design. What does everyone else have in their bedrooms?

Toomanycats99 Wed 19-Oct-16 20:57:02

We have spot lights but that's because we have low ceilings. With the bulbs the builders put in you could feel the heat coming off them. We changed for the low energy and thats much better. I think you do need more fittings though as the light doesn't cover such a wide area.

If I had the ceiling height I am not sure I would choose to have them. Or alternatively I wish we had put them in two circuits so could just have half on if we wanted something less bright.

Hamiltoes Wed 19-Oct-16 21:03:56

I have dimmer spotlights that come from the pendant like the ones in the photo.

I hate the gloomy pendant bulb lights. Changed everything in the house to spotlights and it makes such a difference. Dimmers in living room and bedrooms.

That said, I'd love some uplighting in my bedroom and will consider this when i decorate again next year.

YelloDraw Wed 19-Oct-16 22:06:54

Spot lights for bathrooms, kitchens and lofts or new builds (no head height).

Keep the pendants and replace with a nicer modern fitting.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 22:17:18

lamps shining through holes don't illuminate the room, they give a puddle of light on the floor.

Holes in ceilings allow humidity, heat and sound to pass through the barrier, and, if you're unlucky, smoke and flame.

I don't know why a pendant lamp should be gloomy. Perhaps it is low power?

I am very fond of globe lamps in pendants. The large opal envelope (100mm - 150mm) looks attractive and cuts down glare (modern small, bright LED lamps are prone to glare and dazzle, if not in an enclosure or closed shade)

ChishandFips33 Fri 21-Oct-16 01:40:34

We have spots but we bought it like this - low ceiling and very long room. I swear that's why the room is so cold as the ceiling is perforated!!

We rarely have them on (unless I'm hoovering in the evening and need the room lit up!!) and have lamps instead...much nicer

carmenta Fri 21-Oct-16 09:03:18

We have pendants similar to these in our bedrooms and they're not gloomy at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now