We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

New tap tops

(7 Posts)
SesameSparkle Tue 18-Oct-16 19:06:07

I need to replace the top bits of the taps in my bathroom, but I don't need the whole taps. I can't figure out what I need to order and where to find them - can you help me?

I think it's only the handles that are broke and my plumber told me to get a pair of adaptor taps for the basin and the same again for the bath. I've searched B&Q and Wilkes online, but I can only find whole pillar taps and bath taps. Cheapest I could get are about £20 a pair - but I don't want to get too spendy when I only need half a tap.... Also I already have to pay to fit them and this is meant to be just a temporary fix before I fork out for a whole new bathroom. Will I have to go into a proper store and ask and look stupid, or is there a better way? Does anyone know what I need to order, and can you recommend an online supplier who has what I need?

RaisingSteam Tue 18-Oct-16 22:51:56

Are these what you are looking for? Not much cheaper than new cheap taps but easier to fit.

if you google Adapt-a-tap or search on ebay you will get a few different styles.

RaisingSteam Tue 18-Oct-16 22:54:06

Also see "Tap revivers" on Screwfix. Could your plumber get them from his trade supplier?

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 01:30:35

I call them Tap Revivers.

Bristan is a very good make so see if there are some.

Basin taps are nominally half-inch and bath taps nominally three quarters. Get a matching set. You can change them with a large and a medium adjustable wrench, you will also need a roll of PTFE tape which is very cheap.

If the taps are old and drip, I would hesitate to pay much because the "seat" inside that the washers seal onto might be eroded and the taps will still drip.

If your old ones are broken I imagine they are the plastic knobs. The metal capstan heads are I think better.

SesameSparkle Wed 19-Oct-16 08:19:39

Yes tap revivers look just the ticket - thank you raising and piglet! star I had no idea what they were called and these are half the price of new taps. Do you know if I can just walk into b&q to get something like this - nothing on their website - or do I need to order online? Yes it's plastic ones that are broken, will look out for some metal replacements for them.

PigletJohn Wed 19-Oct-16 15:40:32

have a look round.

Compare them to prices on

round about £10 a pair
they may have a shed near you, you can order online and collect same day, or have them delivered.

If you see Bristan on ebay at a similar price, IMO you won't find better (their List prices are much higher, but they are very good taps www.bristan.com/epages/Bristan.sf/en_GB/?ObjectID=7910

SesameSparkle Wed 19-Oct-16 20:12:06

piglet thanks that's really helpful. smile I've checked and they do have a place about 20 minutes away from me. I might pop in to check somewhere like Wilkes at the weekend first, as they are a bit nearer. And I can decide after what I want to do. I guess whatever I get it's only meant to be a temporary fix, as I'm meant to be replacing the whole bathroom.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now