We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Warm blinds that let the light in

(9 Posts)
Blueberrycheesecake1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:44:54

Is there such a thing?

Our living room windows are old and draughty so the window covering would ideally keep the cold out. We also don't really want anyone looking in but also would like to let the light in. Have tried looking online but can't seem to find anything that does all three (maybe because it doesn't exist!).

Hope that even makes sense!

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sun 16-Oct-16 20:48:14

Any advice gratefully received! Thanks.

icyfront Sun 16-Oct-16 21:56:46

There are blinds with side channels, which might help with the draughts, but most seem to be for blackout blinds.

But there are cassette roller screens which are mesh and used to keep out insects, e.g. www.newblinds.co.uk/content/cassette_roller_insect_sc/

You could try looking for an independent curtain/blind maker near you, as they might be able to make up blinds to suit your requirements.

I've seen adverts on TV for Duette blinds, which might be worth looking at.

Blueberrycheesecake1 Sun 16-Oct-16 22:10:58

Hi icy front, thanks for the tips!

PigletJohn Sun 16-Oct-16 23:53:56

There are other solutions. You mention draught. Presumably these are old, wooden single glazed windows. Are they vertical sliding sash, or casement (hinged)?

Does the draught come from gaps, or just from cold air flowing down off the glass?

Is it a rented home?

Are the wooden parts of the windows glossy and smooth, or scabby, rough old paint?

Blueberrycheesecake1 Mon 17-Oct-16 21:41:28

Hi pigletjohn, thanks for your response. At work today and only just got around to personal emails!

It's owned, they're cold because it's an old house so as you say wooden single glazed windows which are vertical sashes. The wooden parts are rough old paint (so we should probably be maintaining those better...). When it's windy it just seems to go straight through the house. Sorry can't really see which type of draught (probably both!)

PigletJohn Tue 18-Oct-16 10:39:12

For this coming winter, you can use the plastic glazing film. Attach it to the outer frame. This will block draughts from the loose joints in the sashes, but means you will not be able to open one. If you need to open one, put film only on the sash.

Look for furry-pile or brush draught excluder, it can be used on sashes because it allows them to slide and accommodates uneven gaps. Ordinary EDPM strip would make them stick.

Film and draught excluders stick well to clean glossy paint. They fall off dirty, rough or scabby paint.

Look beside the windows, indoors, for any wooden panels. In Victorian and earlier houses there may be original wooden shutters behind them.

johnd2 Tue 18-Oct-16 12:34:59

Agreed the film is amazing, I used it on all my rental houses once I discovered it. Never had any damage to the windows and was cheap enough for me too buy as a student.
I usually did one layer directly over the pane frames to leave a small gap and another over the whole window to stop the draught.

Blueberrycheesecake1 Tue 18-Oct-16 19:36:20

Thank you so much, will definitely do that, sounds like a great solution. Really appreciate everyone's time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now