Talk

Advanced search

Help/advice with kitchen design

(9 Posts)
NickyBat Sun 16-Oct-16 13:10:18

I've been to a kitchen showroom but found them very patronising and they were only interested in helping if I signed up for a design appointment. Just wondered if anyone might be able to help me.

Can I put a 900mm worktop onto a 300mm x 1000mm base unit to form a breakfast bar?

I moved into a 7 year old house in the summer. The kitchen is in good condition so doesn't need replacing. However I desperately need more storage space and would also like to have a breakfast bar/dining area. Combining the two requirements, I wondered if I'd be able to put a 900mm wide worktop onto 300mm deep units, giving a 300mm overhang either side, with doors opening under the worktop on one side and a panel on the other. The workshop would also sit on 600mm deep units that are against the wall.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

poochiepants Sun 16-Oct-16 20:03:58

It depends on a few things, mainly the strength of the existing units you'd be using as the base, the weight of the counter top, and the method of fixing. It's literally an issue of balance.

I'd get someone local in who is an independent kitchen designer and ask their opinion - high street kitchen showrooms sell kitchens, not "small tweaks". Or a builder who you know has done kitchens.

Iggity Sun 16-Oct-16 20:13:40

My island is 600mm deep and worktop is about 900mm deep with the extra 300mm acting as overhang on one side only. It's 1700mm wide.

I don't know if that helps from a scaling viewpoint but the only thing I recall about the sizing is that the overhang couldn't be any more than 300mm but that was due to type of material. Not very helpful, sorry!

NickyBat Sun 16-Oct-16 21:30:14

That sounds like the best way forward. Thanks for the advice 😃

OnePlanOnHouzz Sun 16-Oct-16 21:56:17

If the breakfast bar is also anchored on the 600 base cabinet it sounds like that could add the stability that would be needed... if you could add a rough pencil sketch plan to confirm the placement ? My might be well advised strengthen up the cabinet if you can - especially as peeps will be leaning on it ! As I'm assuming you are going to use what's normally designed for use as a wall cabinet ? So adding 25mm MDF at rear, and maybe both sides too, could help ?

PigletJohn Sun 16-Oct-16 23:58:03

300mm x 1000mm base unit

That's unusual. Base cabinets are usually about 500/600mm deep, with adjustable legs. Wall cabinets are usually about 300mm deep, with no legs.

Why are you having such shallow cabinets?

I presume you are looking at laminated chipboard worktop. It is very heavy, and will sag under its own weight, in time.

NickyBat Mon 17-Oct-16 07:52:28

Thanks for the replies. I've attached a design (please excuse the risqué drawing). I hope this explains it better.
PigletJohn - yes the base units are reduced depth. The worktop will be secured on the 600 deep units against the wall and sit on the 300, with a 300 overhang on 3 sides, to make a breakfast bar. Hope that makes sense 🙂

PigletJohn Mon 17-Oct-16 09:45:32

the overhang does look big.

I would put chrome legs under each corner, and possibly in the middle as well. Screwed to the floor and the worktop. I can imagine it toppling heavily when someone sits or leans on it, or unloads shopping bags on it.

Keep some padded hats to wear when you are kneeling to get stuff out of the cupboards.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 17-Oct-16 10:04:11

Yes this looks how I thought it would ! Dependent on the weight of the top you might find if it's stone or granite that the fabricator will suggest extra support underneath - so in that instance I'd say go for a block and plaster wall under - the added bonus with a wall is not only is it strong- but you can build in extra support out to the sides at the top and have a foot bar put along the bottom . Yes you loose the storage of one cupboard - but you get peace of mind ! ( and foot rests !!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now