Advanced search

Buying on someone else's land

(7 Posts)
Pasithea Sat 15-Oct-16 11:21:17

Don't know how to explain this so please bare with me. We have found a lovely house but it is in a old farmyard so the surrounding land belongs to the farm. There is its own areas in garden and paddock parking areas but the rest belongs to the farm.

Has anyone any experience of this and had any problems.

Scotmum83 Sat 15-Oct-16 15:31:20

We have a converted barn that has its own acre or so plot which is surrounded by farm land owned by the farmer. Is that what you mean. We haven't had any problems at all. We share access from the road to our house and share a water supply that is maintained by the farmer but so far no problems with anything like that.

Glitterchicken Sat 15-Oct-16 15:33:26

Do you have direct access to the property from the road or do you need to travel across the land owned by the farm to gain access?
If you have to travel across their land it's likely that you will have a right of way across it granted in the title deeds to the property. There may be the cost of a contribution to the maintenance of the land you cross. Your solicitor would need to look at all of this during the conveyancing process. In terms of any problems, I've seen disputes involving neighbours blocking access / rights of way over land.

Spickle Sat 15-Oct-16 16:08:43

Is there an agricultural tie on the property?

Pasithea Sat 15-Oct-16 16:50:32

No agricultural tie. I have looked more today we would share access from road with main farm house and a holiday let.

wowfudge Sun 16-Oct-16 12:48:54

Who owns the access road and who is responsible for it's upkeep? I would want a documented right of way to the house, but I don't imagine this would be a big issue and it's something your solicitor should check.

Spickle Sun 16-Oct-16 13:08:10

Your solicitor will check that there are rights granted to cross any land not belonging specifically to the property. If there are no rights however, the solicitor and lender (if you are getting a mortgage) will want one to be put in place before exchange and an updated title provided. If this proves difficult to obtain, the property runs the (small) risk of being landlocked, i.e. no actual rights for vehicular or pedestrian access. While it may seem unlikely, it will need addressing, either because your lender won't lend, or in the future if you want to sell it on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now