Talk

Advanced search

Rules to follow when designing your own kitchen.

(6 Posts)
MsUnderstanding Mon 10-Oct-16 16:44:21

I'm not going to employ the services of a kitchen designer in a kitchen showroom because I suspect they will all say similar things about placing things in a triangle, having fitted cupboards etc.

I want free standing units, possible made by a carpenter. I want the sink, hob and main prep area all in a row. I don't want doors on my units, I would like a curtain so I can change the look of my kitchen every few years.

Anyone done this? How? Am I just being a stubborn idealist who has spent too much time on Pinterest? Are there any practical issues I need to be aware of?
Thanks.

JasperDamerel Mon 10-Oct-16 16:50:37

There's a thread on here somewhere called something like "kitchen lessons learned" where people talked about worked and didn't work in their new kitchens. I read that obsessively when I designed my kitchen. I also got a few free designs from various places to see if they had any better ideas, but I was happiest with my own design, which worked well.

You know what you want, so younger as well go for it. Your design does sound pretty high maintenance in terms of cleaning, but I assume you e already thought of that and don't mind.

TheAntiBoop Mon 10-Oct-16 16:56:39

Make sure you have enough counter space next to the fridge/oven/sink/hobs

Fluffy40 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:17:54

Don't forget a recycling area, plastics and cardboard etc.

OnePlanOnHouzz Mon 10-Oct-16 19:18:05

Let me know if you want it Safety checked before you order anything ( I don't sell kitchens by the way - I'm purely just a designer !) I'll happily Safety check any mumsnetters own designs FOC ! Just to keep you all safe !! smile

RaisingSteam Mon 10-Oct-16 19:22:24

The trick will be to get a kitchen that is efficient and works well whilst having the informal /freestanding look. It could look gorgeous but have hardly any useable space or feel like an obstacle course to work in.

IMO layout is important - if you google "blum zone planner" there are some good ideas. I like the sink and hob with a good clear work zone between them, then have a big larder and fridge rather than loads of itty bitty cupboards. You could have pull out wooden drawers in your cupboards that would have a nice look but still be very practical. (as per Jamie Oliver's set)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now