Moving to London

(11 Posts)
user1476096674 Mon 10-Oct-16 12:45:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

YelloDraw Mon 10-Oct-16 13:12:30

I have just moved out of shoreditch (to afford to buy) so can give you my view.

I have had the best 4 years there - love the super central location and the vibe.

It's an amazing place to live in terms of walking distance to nice restaurants, bars, buzzy markets, the canal and parks (can walk to london fields and Victoria park)

Well connected train transport wise. Walk to the city for work.

Downsides - nightlife hub so busy and slightly chavy and very Essex on a Thursday, Friday and Saturday. lots of drunk people being noisy. Lots of drunk people pissing in the street and doorways.

Not sure about schools, assume they are a bit shit since it is mainly young people or council housing v families. General view point is people move or pay private when they have school aged kids but that might just be really snobby.

phoria Mon 10-Oct-16 13:32:05

Shoreditch is amazing. There's a lot of nightlife around here, which as YellowDraw says is getting more Essex, but it's still one of the trendiest places to live in London. If you head towards Broadway Market and Victoria Park, it gets more family friendly and relaxed.

If you want more bang for your buck a lot of Shoreditch types are moving to Walthamstow and Leytonstone but both are further out. There the vibe is definitely more for families.

phoria Mon 10-Oct-16 13:34:36

Oh, and Columbia Road (near one of those flats) has an amazing flower marker on Sundays

TheCyclist Mon 10-Oct-16 13:37:27

We moved from Shoreditch to E11 when we wanted 'settle down'. We lived for a long time (pre kid) very near to where The Fusion is. I loved Shoreditch (The Fusion is really Bethnal Green) though the whole area is now geared to 20-somethings. It's exceptionally busy at weekends - and as YelloDraw has pointed out, you do get some ant-social behaviour with it.

If I wanted to live in that area now, the 'family friendly' option would be round Victoria Park. Much quieter, with all the 'exciting' stuff at hand, but with one of the loveliest parks in Europe on your doorstep - plus all the facilities of the Olympic Park a bit further away.

YelloDraw Mon 10-Oct-16 15:35:04

If you want more bang for your buck a lot of Shoreditch types are moving to Walthamstow and Leytonstone but both are further out. There the vibe is definitely more for families.

Having just moved to Leyton..... the vibe is not the same as Shoreditch! Shoreditch is all economically prosperous, mainly white mid-30's city workers living the high life. Leyton is more, um, mixed and has one or two nice bars/cafes rather than gazillions of them.

Agree that Victoria Park is family friendly with the Shoreditch / London Fields vibe.

phoria Mon 10-Oct-16 18:46:33

Ooo, I didn't mean Leyton. I was talking about one stop further in Leytonstone. Have a few friends with kids who have moved that way. The vibe there is more suburban though.

YelloDraw Mon 10-Oct-16 22:53:37

Yup Leytonstone and Wanstead have nice 'village' feel I think. Still if I had the cash if have bought in shoreditch :-)

YelloDraw Mon 10-Oct-16 22:53:59

If I had the cash I'd have

Tartyflette Mon 10-Oct-16 22:56:41

Wanstead is expensive (even posh in parts) -- unless you meant Walthamstow?

YelloDraw Tue 11-Oct-16 10:17:35

No I meant Wanstead - it is really nice, the high street is very 'yummy mummy' coffee shop central and prices reflective of that. It is just far out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now