Talk

Advanced search

Advice on tiling large hall area - underfloor heating?

(8 Posts)
MandyFl0ss Mon 10-Oct-16 05:13:50

I live in a large Victorian semi and it's freezing here in the winter. We have original floorboards which are quite gappy. Whilst we like wooden floors we feel that replacing the current with new won't work because we'll have to replace the whole of downstairs which will include kitchen, wc, dining room sitting room and large hall. Too big a job and way too expensive. So I thought about tiling the entrance hall all the way and including the kitchen, and having underfloor heating. In my head I am thinking something like this: uk.pinterest.com/pin/145874475410793386/

As you come through the front door, you see the kitchen so the floor would be the same throughout.

What does everyone think and where would be a good place to get the tiles (online).

Magstermay Mon 10-Oct-16 06:00:48

I think it looks lovely and I would definitely go for underfloor heating. No idea about getting tiles though I'm afraid.

didireallysaythat Mon 10-Oct-16 06:25:23

When you remove the floorboards what do you have underneath ? A family friend has been thinking along the same lines but has been discouraged by the insulation required underneath the UFH. Do you mind if I ask how you will insulate and to what depth you need ? Thanks

PigletJohn Mon 10-Oct-16 09:02:27

Wood moves.

Tiles don't.

Cracks.

originalmavis Mon 10-Oct-16 09:07:10

Under floor heating is lovely - until you need to find a leak! I'd get some nice rugs instead.

PigletJohn Mon 10-Oct-16 09:57:00

If your problem is heat loss from gappy bare floorboards, the work of taking up the boards and insulating beneath them (clear out rubbish and unblock airbricks at the same time) will make a big improvement. Most of the cold will be from draughts between the boards.

If you want to add UFH at the same time, that's fine, but you will have to do the floor lift and insulate work anyway.

Refixing the boards with csk screws instead of nails will make it much easier to take them up next time.

Wet heating (from gas) is very much cheaper to run than electric heating.

Mum2KSS Mon 10-Oct-16 10:08:45

we've got wet ufh beneath porcelain tiles all through the hallway and into kitchen and its lovely. Floor is very easy to clean and maintain as well and reflects the light making the house look spacious and bright.

Pradaqueen Mon 10-Oct-16 10:35:27

Hello OP. I have porcelain tiles throughout my ground floor laid on top of Wundafloor UFH which is a retro fit overfloor system designed for old houses. Works great as long as you follow their advice for the adhesive. It is expensive (Mapei) so don't allow your tiler to use anything else as the wundafloor guarantee won't be valid. I have no cracks after 4 years. Would definitely recommend.

For online tiles try Tonsoftiles or wallsandfloors both .co.uk

I recently renovated a house using fired earth 'sucre' and used plain large dark grey tiles cut down as a border. Was cheaper than u might think so gave a look.

Good luck with your renovation!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now