Talk

Advanced search

I've paid for a full packing service and I'm having an anxious moment, help me!

(23 Posts)
AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 18:08:36

I've packed 60 ish boxes of the easy shit. Books, clothes. Fuck knows.

I've left ALL the difficult stuff, every glass, every plate, any ceramic stuff. Stuff lying about I can't be bothered to do.

I can just leave it can't I confused
I can't take any more

I'm paying £2700 for people to move me. There's 4 guys, a 20 wheel truck.

Please tell me I can stop. I'm feeling really tearful.

JohnLapsleyParlabane Sun 09-Oct-16 18:10:24

Absolutely leave it! You've done more than enough already. Sit down and rest.

LIZS Sun 09-Oct-16 18:11:34

How much?! Anything breakable leave , or it won't be covered on their insurance.

olafisking Sun 09-Oct-16 18:12:49

If you've paid for full packing they will be expecting to pack everything bar excluded items (for us was laptop, gas cannister from bbq, petrol needed to be emptied from lawnmower - should be listed on your contract what is excluded). The best thing you can do now is organise the loose bits and pieces so they are with like items otherwise unpacking might be quite hard work!

RoganJosh Sun 09-Oct-16 18:14:45

Hate to say it, but have you thought about packing a suitcase of toiletries, a changes of clothes and a towel, plus a box of kettle and cleaning stuff to take with you, rather than to go in the lorry?

JT05 Sun 09-Oct-16 18:15:15

Don't do any more! When they come go out somewhere ( as long as there's a responsible adult left in the house!). They are the professionals and you are paying them to do the work and worry! Good luck.

Thecazelets Sun 09-Oct-16 18:17:41

I had a full pack twice and both times packed absolutely nothing myself! Not a single box - that's the point. So I think you should stop x

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 18:17:42

Yes, I'm designating a cupboard with my suitcase and weekend of stuff. Plus toiletries/dog food/coffee maker.

I think I'm just freaking out. A lot. I have 6 bags of Christmas decs that are in ikea bags, too big for boxes, mostly wreaths.

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 18:18:23

I am going out, it's happening on the day I'm getting my hair done.

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 18:19:10

There won't be anyone in the house when they do it shock

Is that not ok????

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 09-Oct-16 18:21:30

Literally we packed one box of personal items and designated a no pack zone (like your cupboard) and they went through and packed everything except keys and flammables.

CMOTDibbler Sun 09-Oct-16 18:24:28

Last time we moved, I packed two suitcases and bedding into the car. Not a single other thing, and we hadn't decluttered either due to various events.
They packed a crammed 3 bed house into the lorry - and had to shuttle to it with a van as you couldn't park the lorry outside our house - in 5 hours

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 20:49:14

Ok, I did stop. Feels like I have too much to do. There's stuff in the garden I haven't put on the deck yet (designated take area) but it's too dark to do anything.

I'm really worried it's not going to fit in. There's no shed at all.

adogcalledbert Sun 09-Oct-16 20:51:41

When we had packing service they did everything except the loft and the shed.
Remember, it's their job & they're super efficient. You've paid for it, let them get on with it.

MiniMum97 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:01:31

Leave them to it. They are super fast. They will also have looked at your house and what you gave and have quoted you accordingly so don't worry about everything not fitting in.

The only thing we did was pack one box which was full of stuff I did not want to be broken or lost (i.e. Sentimental stuff and/or that couldn't be replaced). We took this box in our car ourselves.

Good luck with the move.

AndShesGone Sun 09-Oct-16 21:03:00

No they've not visited the new place or the place we're moving from, I just gave them
a rough list. We're moving out of the area (where the moving company is based)

johnd2 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:20:10

Professional movers are like magic. I moved a few times with friends helping. I really remember lugging two sofas into the flat up the stairs. I was completely wiped out afterwards.
Next time the movers did it as it was further to move, they just walked in and just got to work like they were moving lightweight items. An hour and it was all packed, even less at the other end to unload.
Basically it's their job so they don't sweat they just get on. To them it's just stuff to move, so they just do it fast.
Although we always packed ourselves to force a clear out. One time I found stuff I threw into bags at the move before last, it was just shoved in the garage. But relax, the movers are magicians!

elfofftheshelf Mon 10-Oct-16 08:31:37

As others have said, leave them to it. They're like locusts! Moving so fast and before you know it a room is packed up. I was told by the guy who came round to do the quote to not pack anything other than our essentials (change of clothes, papers, kettle etc). It's well worth every penny!

JeffreySadsacIsUnwell Mon 10-Oct-16 10:32:01

Put your overnight/personal items in your car, if you have one. And empty the bins before they come, or you'll find your rubbish gets packed too and when you unpack that box in three weeks' (or months') time, you'll have a bin full of festering trash.

I bundled up underwear and stuff like that in plastic bags, taped them and shoved the bags back in the drawers. When the movers emptied the drawers, they just packed up the sealed bags so didn't have to handle my knickers - but they packed the rest of the clothes. And the (literally) hundreds of boxes of books - don't think they'd realised the shelves were double-stacked 😂.

They had to pack the china and glasses or wouldn't have been insured. We had a few boxes of china in storage which we'd packed ourselves - they opened all the boxes to check our standard of packing and what materials we'd used. Luckily it passed muster and they were happy to take responsibility, but they were totally prepared to unpack and repack, so don't do too much or you might inadvertently create more work.

Also - put a box of cleaning stuff in your car, and leave old/disposable cloths and half-used bottles of cleaners in your 'don't pack' cupboard, along with bin bags. You will almost certainly want to do a last minute clean before you go, but you probably won't want to clean your new house with the dirty cloths from 12 hours previously (or indeed have the smell of cleaning cloths/chemicals in your car if you're going any distance), or risk open bottles spilling. Make sure your mop/bucket and hoover are ring-fenced too. No matter how clean the new house is before you get there, a couple of hours of removal men trampling in and out is going to have you wanting to hoover before unpacking.

Good luck, and don't get too stressed. They're excellent and used to it. I told ours I'd pay them to come and do our Xmas present wrapping for us 😄. We had three lorries and not a single thing was broken or lost.

kaitlinktm Mon 10-Oct-16 16:27:32

I have never used this sort of service but when I move in a couple of years I will be on my own and in my 60s so I am tempted.

What would they do with filing cabinets - with files? Do they empty them and then move them?

Honestly, I hardly dare think about it - we have been here since 1989.

I hope your move goes well Andshesgone!

CMOTDibbler Mon 10-Oct-16 16:54:24

They'd pull the file pockets out and put them straight in a box - possibly they have file hanging boxes. Certainly all our wardrobe stuff went in special wardrobe boxes staying on the hangers. The chest of drawers, they just taped paper over the top of the drawer and put each on the lorry separately

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Mon 10-Oct-16 17:04:50

I was heavily pregnant (38 weeks) with my second child when we last moved. The chain had been very stressful and I was having a home birth. I ordered packers recommended by estate agents. They came round said it would take about four hours and said they would come round the day before the move. I dispatched other child to the grandparents and was heading out the door to have a long brunch and my DH said (now famously) ' we have a contractual obligation to be out of this house tomorrow and you are off to brunch. There is no way they are doing this in four hours' waving to house completely unpacked. 2 hours later he rang me and was 'it's all done, it's all packed, where's brunch'. These people are pros leave them to it

Toomanywheeliebinsagain Mon 10-Oct-16 17:06:48

Had to leave the home birth stuff and a few overnight stuff for the toddler with a large sign on it otherwise they would have packed that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now