Talk

Advanced search

Marble worktop in the kitchen

(19 Posts)
Member822290 Sun 09-Oct-16 17:18:44

Has anyone had a marble worktop fitted recently? If so could you recommend a supplier/fitter please? I am in London., and finding it difficult to get transparent prices from anyone and have not got much time to visit shops or yards.Many thanks.

cujo Sun 09-Oct-16 20:36:19

Are you really sure you want marble? There is a real trend at the moment to have a marble look worktop but actually in quartz.

All the big quartz suppliers such as Beltrami, Silestone, Unistone, Caesarstone all do various marble effect quartz work tops and they would be much easier to benchmark prices between suppliers but with the associated benefits of quartz over marble.

Something to consider!

thelonggame Sun 09-Oct-16 21:03:18

I went for quartz (Silestone) over marble, and I used these www.surreymarbleandgranite.co.uk/

was three years ago now, but they were professional and did an excellent installation. Best price we could find.

Lived in a rented house once with pale marble counters in the bathroom, and I found they marked easily and because of the natural imperfections they chipped too. Whereas the granite is as good as the day it was fitted.

Wrinklytights Sun 09-Oct-16 21:09:09

I don't have any exact prices as thankfully I'm not in London, but the prices I have seen for real marble have been a lot cheaper than quartz/silestone etc. We want it for our kitchen extension. I don't mind it getting worn as we have an old house and all the quartz type stuff I've seen looks too plasticy.

Member822290 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:24:57

Thank you. In a five minute conversation with a supplier/fitter yesterday ( parking was allowed for 30 mins only and he was busy so I wasted the time permitted!) I was quoted £9k for marble and £2900 for quartz (marble look)....I think he was trying to push quartz. I don't have to have marble, but worktop should be white but not clinical -as base cabinets will be very dark. Thanks

cujo Sun 09-Oct-16 21:33:48

I'm surprised at that marble price, as all the suppliers I have spoken with have indicated a cheaper price for it than quartz.

I think there are some really nice quartz marble effect options available and in a number of finishes to avoid the plasticy effect. You just need to decide how much veining you want and how dark/light you want that veining to be as you have more control over this than real marble.

adogcalledbert Sun 09-Oct-16 21:39:10

I really wanted marble but the kitchen designer put me off; it stains and etches apparently.
I went for look-likey Silestone and it looks brand new 3 years later.
Was much more expensive than marble though.

Pradaqueen Mon 10-Oct-16 10:39:01

I have Carrara marble on a bespoke table 3m x 1m and book matched 3m x 1.8m island plus another 3m work top. I used Decorium just off staples corner. Fitted it was less than hour quote for all of it. They have every sort of marble you can think of. The owner is quite a character but you can have a fantastic deal with him.

Pradaqueen Mon 10-Oct-16 10:39:25

* your not hour

HereIAm20 Mon 10-Oct-16 16:07:19

Marble will usually "shadow" with water stains etc and will stain. A q uartz lookalike will look like new years on and can be cleaned with Cif or the like and not need to be wiped off and dried instantly like marble.

Member822290 Mon 10-Oct-16 20:24:46

Thanks all. Thanks Pradaqueen. I will check Decorium out. Alas I am in south London. I am relieved though about the price. I know it's not cheap but £9k is a bit excessive for us - we don't live in a mansion (I hasten to add!)

stretch Mon 10-Oct-16 20:38:06

Dh's company make and fit granite/marble work tops. They are based in Leicester but do lots of work in London. Have a look- Taylormade Fireplaces. They do supply only as well so you could get someone else to fit.

stretch Mon 10-Oct-16 20:39:05

DH says don't use Cif on any of the materials lol!

Pradaqueen Mon 10-Oct-16 20:39:08

Agree marble is not for the lax of cleaning... Or houses with boys grin

South London to Staples Corner is not that far....wink

Member822290 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:54:10

Ahahaha or should I say Aaaarghhhh! This is a house with boys....You are pushing me to laminate...;)

Thanks stretch - I will check your DH's company too.

Thanks ( As they say first world problems- but we can't wait to have our kitchen back...)

HereIAm20 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:56:38

Cif was actually recommended by Ivett and Reed of Cambridge.

MyBoysHaveDogsNames Fri 14-Oct-16 19:10:24

You can use cif on Quartz products. Good quality marble is more expensive now due to high demand. Does seem a huge discrepancy though. Which marble was quoted?

Inspiration2016 Fri 14-Oct-16 22:04:04

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

elfonshelf Sun 16-Oct-16 21:32:18

I had marble in my last kitchen and it was fantastic. If you get marks (i.e. curry left overnight) then use a mix of bicarb of soda and Milton's sterilising solution and make it into a paste.

Stonehouse Tiles in the Old Kent Road have done several kitchens and bathrooms for me - including cutting marble and granite worktops/surfaces into custom shapes. Quality and service have always been excellent and I would happily use them for the next refurb I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now