How would you brighten up this kitchen? (new house inc the showhouse pic)

(10 Posts)
indiana7 Sat 08-Oct-16 22:30:54

Hi, as per previous threads, we are buying in a new development, I have attached a picture of the showhouse kitchen, we are getting the grey cabinets & extractor fan which I love included. My question is how would you brighten up the walls & what flooring would you go with? We want to have continuous flooring downstairs so thinking of a nice greyish lamintate.. What colour walls, would like duckegg but may be a bit cool??? Any other ideas very welcome!

GiddyOnZackHunt Sat 08-Oct-16 22:59:10

I'd go for some kind of colourful splashback (glass or tiles)

JoJoSM2 Sat 08-Oct-16 23:15:58

The kitchen looks dull because the colour of the cabinets and the flooring is too samey - there isn't enough contrast and the colours look washed out. If I was buying the house, I prolly wouldn't spend tons of money to replace perfectly good flooring but I'd get a kitchen rug.

indiana7 Sat 08-Oct-16 23:20:45

It's a new development, so all we will get is the kitchen cabinets & extractor fans plus the internal door! We will have to get our own flooring & at the moment I'm undecided between tiles & a good quality laminate I think solid wood is out of our budget..

RockinHippy Sat 08-Oct-16 23:24:29

A bright, but light lime green would look great on the walls & really brighten the whole room up. It works well with the grey, white & wood. Maybe bring in a wooden bench table, with benches & add a mix of wooden & green glass accessories such as tea/coffee jars, knife block, bread bin etc - a few black accessories would work too, maybe scales, black knife block & black framed clock etc

RockinHippy Sat 08-Oct-16 23:26:47

If the floor doesn't come with it, I would go for a lighter coloured vinyl flooring too, the ivory/grey wooden plank look lino would look good & brighten the room up

yellowflags Sat 08-Oct-16 23:29:27

What accents do you like? If you like duck egg blue then consider getting that for the splash back and a rug. Then get a dark grey or that works through the ground floor, and add more colour in curtains and accessories. I would keep the walls white/ grey

TellMeStraight Sat 08-Oct-16 23:43:59

It's difficult to tell but the units look greige to me rather than grey. So I would be inclined to put warm colours with it, not cool.

You could team it with traditional warm naturals, and go for wood effect.

Or if you want modern and understated, I would find a warm blue (with hints of green) like Farrow and Ball's Dix Blue or a nice dusty pink.

Either way, the floor needs to be a contrast. So either lighter or darker than the kitchen units.

TellMeStraight Sat 08-Oct-16 23:46:38

In talking about using colours on the walls btw. Those photos I posted are examples of warm colours to place with the warm greige I think those units are. IMHO

JoJoSM2 Sun 09-Oct-16 09:50:01

Oh, if you need to get your own flooring, you could go for something light, kind of creamy or pale grey (a case of trying different colours with the kitchen cabinets and doors to see what works). If you're brace, you could try something very dark - it'd would def have more umph than the show home stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now