Danish oil safe?! High voc?!

(5 Posts)
Ineedwineplease Sat 08-Oct-16 13:56:22

I'm feeling extreamly worried right now - I'd really, really appreciate some advice! So I painted my new window cills in danish oil (indoors) and I have a 5 week old baby, it's been over a week and they still smell! I have had all windows open whenever i can but can still smell it, I'm worried if breathing in all the smell for this long has caused him any problems? Or what could potentially happen to him? Is it safe? Are the fumes safe? It says high voc sad im sorry for all the questions but kind of going out of my mind sad thank you so much too anyone who can advise me.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Oct-16 20:42:43

don't know

Danish oil is just vegetable oil mixed with white spirit to thin it and make it soak in easier and dry quicker. I use linseed oil, which is slower on both counts but more durable. AFAIK plain vegetable oil is harmless.

You might be able to find out if you contact the maker (somebody like Rustin's?) or search online for white spirit safety.

It is a petroleum distillate so I presume the vapour will be heavier than air and sink to the floor.

Fresh air and sunlight will dry it out, but it will have soaked into the wood more than a paint does so will take longer to dry out. I find paint fumes give me a headache so would avoid them for a few days.

BTW rags contaminated with Danish oil are a fire risk so should we wetted with water and tied into plastic bags before you bin them.

PigletJohn Sat 08-Oct-16 20:43:42

here you are

www.rustins.eu/healthSafety/DANISH%20OIL%20MSDS.pdf

Lelivre Sat 08-Oct-16 21:53:54

Do you still have the tin? Ring the company, they should have a support line perhaps a chemist who can advise you further. Yes my danish oil is strong stuff, petrol based and pungent. Warnings on the tin etc. so yes do keep the windows open and get it drying out.

Ineedwineplease Mon 10-Oct-16 14:58:49

Thank you piglet unfortunately my phone won't let me open the pdf file but I will now Google white spirit and thank you for the rest of the information! Thank you lelivre I will do that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now