Can't decide, which one would you prefer and why?

(20 Posts)
QforCucumber Sat 08-Oct-16 08:01:09

So, one of these is or current house. One of them is a house we have been offered to move into. Can't decide between the 2.
The one with the coloured floorplan also has a part brick conservatory on the back of the dining room.
Both have great positioned gardens.
The coloured floorplan has a double drive, black and white floorplan has a single driveway but is on a corner so ample parking.
Both are detached.

BigGreenOlives Sat 08-Oct-16 08:07:33

What is the square footage? Is the extra reception room in house 2 a converted garage?

NapQueen Sat 08-Oct-16 08:08:50

The upstairs of the coloured plan really is brilliant! I'd go for that one; however there would need to be some work done downstairs imo.

Would they be yours so you could change the layout?

Much prefer the coloured one and can't see why anyone wouldn't. Is the area an issue?

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sat 08-Oct-16 08:10:35

Are you buying or renting OP? On floor plan alone I would go for the coloured one due to downstairs space and the en-suite dressing area, but obviously that doesn't take into consideration condition of the houses.
The garage could be converted though if you were buying?

MumOfTwoMasterOfNone Sat 08-Oct-16 08:11:24

I do like a kitchen diner though, but the positives on the other outweigh it IMO.

QforCucumber Sat 08-Oct-16 08:15:10

Both purchases.
The floor plan on the coloured one is still a garage (only floor plan picture I could find)
Black and white one Is our current house. Coloured one is the one we've been offered. I love the downstairs layout of our current home, the stairs and being able to close off the front room from going up and down.
Dp thinks the other one as could extend over the kitchen, move the bathroom left and widen the smallest bedroom. Also move the downstairs wall to make a separate lounge and a kitchen diner.
Both good areas with good schools. I just don't know if I'm being stubborn as I've spent 2 years making this our home haha.

SnakeWitch Sat 08-Oct-16 08:15:34

2 looks like it offers more actual living space. On paper, that one definitely.

QforCucumber Sat 08-Oct-16 08:18:47

It's not shown well and I don't have all the measurements to hand, but house 1 has 3 double bedrooms. House 2 is 2 doubles and a single, hence the want to widen it so we wouldn't be losing out too much on that space.

QforCucumber Sat 08-Oct-16 08:22:16

Current house is valued at 160k, fil owns other one as a rental and prepared to sell to us at a similar price as ours is worth. Dp and I are both undecided really, so thought it would go to the mn vote for some unbiased opinions. Only 15 mins away from each other so routes to work are no issues.

USbound Sat 08-Oct-16 08:23:14

I prefer downstairs 1 layout. Like the internal stairs and kitchen diner. LYout 2 I would want to block off the weird dining room to lounge and make it kitchen diner

InTheDessert Sat 08-Oct-16 08:23:40

Downstairs of the coloured in plan. Upstairs of the black and white.
So depends on if you prioritise upstairs or downstairs space most!!!

NapQueen Sat 08-Oct-16 08:27:27

If I owned the coloured house, and had the funds, I'd do the following:-

Open up the playroom garage into the kitchen and dining room to make a bug family eating/sitting/cooking area. Keep the utility/wc.

Block off the access to the lounge from the front door part, and make it accessible from the back only (so no thoroughfare and more of an "evening room").

JoJoSM2 Sat 08-Oct-16 23:45:51

To me the layout of the coloured one is spot on as I like the kitchen to be separated + double aspect living area and I like big, comfortable master bedroom suites. However, if you feel attached to your current home and you're happy there then it should be up for discussion with your husband.

HereIAm20 Mon 10-Oct-16 17:53:14

personally the coloured floorplan

RebelandaStunner Mon 10-Oct-16 22:13:21

Coloured one. More spacious and room layout is better imo

Qwebec Mon 10-Oct-16 22:32:40

B&W, the layout feels more natural and you could convert the garage to make your second living room. Way less work than the second one.

QforCucumber Tue 11-Oct-16 07:31:42

We are still in discussions haha.
Don't really want to convert the current garage as there's only space for 1 car on the drive directly in front of it so would look very cramped.
We have a year to decide so it's not actually as much of a flash decision as we thought it might be.

solittletime Tue 11-Oct-16 07:36:15

I actually like the smaller black and white one. Sensible layout downstairs with kitchen diner a big plus. I currently live in an enormous house overseas and we don't use most of the spare 'playroom' an garage spaces.
Very much depends on your family dynamics and if you need to have space for people coming to stay with you often.

Kidnapped Tue 11-Oct-16 10:12:39

Wouldn't be worth the bother of moving for me. Just tiny differences really. And you've just finished doing up your own house to your tastes. The rental will need redecorating at least.

Your house does everything you need it to for now and there are ways you can change things around/extend if you ever need to.

Wait until you have a more definite reason to move. If you need more space/either or both of you changes jobs and have longer commutes/a child changes school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now