Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Would I be mad to have white oak flooring downstairs?

(4 Posts)
fluttershyby Fri 07-Oct-16 05:50:07

Hi,
I need to choose flooring for a new house. I've fallen in love with a white oak laminate but am worried how easy it is to keep it looking nice.
We're a no shoes indoors household, children under 10, currently no pets but thinking of getting a cat.
I'm not a big fan of cleaning and do not want to mop it every day. Has anyone got light flooring in the living/kitchen areas? What is it like?
Should I just stick to the white oak in the bedrooms and pick something darker for downstairs?
Have you got any recommendations? My sofa is a dark brown and furniture is Mexican pine. Budget it around £15sqm.

user1471549018 Fri 07-Oct-16 08:36:44

darker flooring shows the dust much more quickly ime. The best way to hide dirt is to make sure it's not a solid colour- as long as there's a bit of a mix (like wood grain) it's difficult to spot the dust. Laminate doesn't tend to do well in kitchens although I don't think your budget will stretch to karndean type flooring

mintthins Fri 07-Oct-16 08:40:40

We're in the process of putting down new wood flooring and I was advised to avoid the white because scratches would really show up (dogs though not a cat). It might be different for laminate but worth double checking.

fluttershyby Fri 07-Oct-16 12:39:51

Thanks, it's not a solid white, kind of white/grey wash. I've attached a pic with the furniture colour next to it. It said it was suitable for kitchens...
I don't think I can stretch to karndean as need to do all of the house.
I guess I could put something different in the kitchen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now