Advanced search

Party wall -no reply

(9 Posts)
jigster01 Thu 06-Oct-16 17:53:35

We have sent a notice to the owner of next door -it has been rented to the same people for the last 21yrs that we have been here -we have seen the owners once in that time ,many years ago.
We have had no reply and voters roll shows they were last known (?) at address we sent letter to in 2013. We have sent a note next door to ask for conformation and telephone number but has anyone ever had no reply and what do you do?
Their house is in quite disrepair so we are nervous starting without getting photos etc as they may say we have cracked their walls!!
I have spoken to 3 friends who have all done extensions and none have applied for party wall notice !

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 06-Oct-16 17:57:52

Watching this as we may soon be in same boat! Hoping to extend in new year, badly looked after property next door and a reclusive neighbour.

jigster01 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:09:37

I'm sure if we started they wouldn't even know ! and the neighbours very much keep themselves to themselves ...but . .....

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 06-Oct-16 18:10:56

You need to cover yourself just incase! I'm sure my neighbour wouldn't notice either.

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:24:56

Have a look on the website at the explanatory booklet. If they haven't replied (and consented) then a dispute is deemed to have arisen and according to the guidance, you should appoint a surveyor.

jigster01 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:55:42

Hi ..yes we have spoken to out party wall man and he said everything as website which we knew as we have done lots of reading but just wondered what happens IF you cannot get in touch at all and can't get a signature...he did say ask next door to let us in and take lots of photos inside and out (but I can't see that happening..)just to cover yourselves

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 18:59:28

As I said above if you don't get a signature then you have to appoint a surveyor (it is treated as a dispute). It's not for you to go into their property, you need to go through the proper process and appoint someone independent.

jigster01 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:06:07

.....but would the surveyor not need permission of some sort from the owner to enter the property and take photos though?

namechangedtoday15 Thu 06-Oct-16 19:19:18

It's all set out in the guide (if you go through the section that deals with disputes).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now