Advanced search

Mice/fire place and!!!

(10 Posts)
ghostspirit Thu 06-Oct-16 12:10:28

I have posted similar before but this is really getting to me. I have been at this house for approx 4 weeks. It's full of mice. But I have only caught 2. I see at least 2 mice most nights and m son sees one every morning. And we can hearespond scratching. I have filled all the holes in can see. In one of the fire places up stairs it was filled with expanding foam. There seemed to be a hole so I filled that to. As in the bit that leads up to the chimney.

Thereally is also so a fire place is dds room that has been blocked with some wire wall them taped with masking tape
So that one is not true lyrics blocked... I'm scared to take it off sod knows what will fall out.

So how can I properly block the fire place/ chimney.

What can I do to get rid of mice.

I have 5 traps in my kitchen. I even tried glue traps as a last resort. But nothing. I'm making sure there are no crumbs or any food for them.

I messaged the landlord he's ignoring me.

Oh and I have been putting down potion bait to

ghostspirit Thu 06-Oct-16 12:12:57

Sorry about all the typos.. phone does as it feels.

OliviaBenson Thu 06-Oct-16 12:14:23

To be honest I'd contact rentokill or similar and ask them to deal with it.

If you can't afford it, could you take advice from Environmental Health in respect of your living conditions and landlord obligations?

specialsubject Thu 06-Oct-16 12:31:08

mice in the walls is a real pain, as the tap-dancing is always at 2am! They probably won't go into the kitchen hence the lack of effectiveness of traps. You need to put poisoned bait into the spaces - e.g behind the fireplace and then block it off with a sheet of board. Check every day.

As I recall you are in a housing association property? But whoever owns it, write a letter and get proof of posting. And contact environmental health.

ghostspirit Thu 06-Oct-16 12:39:08

I'm in temp accommodation. Wich is private owned. Yeah council do 3 visits for just under 100 pounds. Maybe I should. Seems there has been problems here for a long time.

I'm wondering would it be a waste of money to call someone out would they just do what I have done.

specialsubject Thu 06-Oct-16 12:51:06

I think so - you can buy effective poison from a garden centre or a real hardware store. Obviously handle carefully, keep away from kids etc - but there's nothing a 'non-professional' can't do.

Scribblegirl Thu 06-Oct-16 13:08:09

Just to warn you, blocking the fireplaces is a really bad idea in terms of ventilation - you'll need to be extra careful to keep windows open etc if you're doing that. We've just bought a place which wasn't in itself damp, but developed damp after the previous residents blocked up all the fire place grates (we suspect because of rodents!). Cost us £3k to put right and if you're renting there may be a clause about proper ventilation in your lease.

ghostspirit Thu 06-Oct-16 13:24:02

yeah i thought that might be the case special

the fire places aready blocked i will take photos incase for any proof.

elfonshelf Thu 06-Oct-16 16:03:40

I currently have a rat problem - joy - and a 500 year old house that is like a sieve and can't be easily blocked up due to Listed Building regs etc. plus we really need good ventilation.

I've read that rodents really hate the smell of the old fashioned camphor mothballs so I'm going to post them into the bits I can't get near and see if that helps.

You can get electronic devices that emit noises that repel rodents but are too high pitched for us to hear. One of those might help you.

ghostspirit Thu 06-Oct-16 16:22:23

I have heard about the high pitch thing to. But have also heard a mix of messages that they do/don't work. So not sure what to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now