Advanced search

How do I get a fitted kitchen repaired

(9 Posts)
Needmoresleep Thu 06-Oct-16 08:30:41

I manage a lovely high end flat on the South Coast for my mother who has Alzheimers and use the rent to help pay her care costs.

The last tenants has been a nightmare. He was renting it as a second home and though clearly able to splash the cash, was less good at paying rent on time. He now seems to have gone but has left quite a lot of damage including a smashed door (tip - if you look on the top of the door you may find manufacturer details) and a couple of damaged units in a lovely fitted kitchen. On one the cream gloss cover has started to peel off and on the other the rail inside which holds up the sliding mechanism and door is broken.

The kitchen was put in by the builder Gleeson a decade ago and I cannot find manufacturer markings anywhere. What can I do? Pictures showing the kitchen below.

user1471549018 Thu 06-Oct-16 08:43:36

If the doors just need refitting ask a local carpenter or handyman- can't see any other damage in the photos? If some of the doors are actually broken I guess you'll have to replace all of them

Needmoresleep Thu 06-Oct-16 08:57:51

Thx. I was some how hoping I could find the manufacturer or a stockist of doors so I could replace the door where the gloss covering is ripped. The photo shows the door hanging down because the internal rail holding it up has gone.

Completely replacing doors will be expensive as there are a lot in all sorts of heights and sizes including integral units. All for some torn gloss covering. It's my mum's money and she is already massively out of pocket on this tenancy. Something she can't really afford. I felt quite ill last night when clearing up and coming across discarded designer lables and spa treatment receipts. Different priorities I guess.

BombadierFritz Thu 06-Oct-16 09:05:29

you could get the door 'wrapped' altho maybe they would need to do them all to match? if you google vinyl kitchen wrap you'll see what I mean
i'd think a handyman could sort a new hinge

user1471549018 Thu 06-Oct-16 09:06:35

Can you post a pic of the torn gloss covering? If it's not too bad I'm sure it would be fine for a rental, as long as it's not ultra high end?

wowfudge Thu 06-Oct-16 09:07:17

If you want to find the actual manufacturer you could try phoning Gleeson and asking. They probably use the same one for everything they build. As for the foil coming off, wrapped doors are notorious for that - it just happens over time, so much so that many manufacturers don't make them any more. None of it looks that bad, though that may be of little consolation and if the kitchen is ten years old then it may be starting to show it's age rather than down to the tenant's rough handling.

Heratnumber7 Thu 06-Oct-16 09:09:58

What does your contract with the tennant say? Isn't he liable to repair breakages? Did you get a deposit from him that would help with the cost? (Assuming you didn't return it when he left)

user1471549018 Thu 06-Oct-16 09:12:09

Also if he owes you money make sure you go through the small claims court. You may not get your money back, but a CCJ would reduce the chances he can do this to someone else (and affect his credit rating grin)

Needmoresleep Thu 06-Oct-16 10:21:51

Thanks. The flat is very high end in quite a flash area. One of the neighbours is a Premiership footballer. Ideally I would sell it to pay for my mums care but others prefer the idea of renting and so paying for care via income. (An elderly parents thread rant coming on!)

The re-wrapping is a good idea. The cream is pretty generic so perhaps I can find a close enough match and just do the one panel.

As is phoning Gleeson. They have been pretty poor about details of construction of the block itself, but probably source all their kitchens from the same place.

The broken bit is a slide out unit that holds the bin. The rail is broken, so the door has fallen down, but hopefully it is standard.

The tenant is a complete mystery. He passed apparently thorough referencing yet does not show up on Google at all. No LinkedIn profile, no Companies House yet he used to be a Director. I assume he has involked Right to Privacy. Rent was always late and always paid in cash and there are arrears. He is near impossible to get hold of, and does not seem to read emails, texts or even a letter from my solicitor. Contact only happened when he called me.

The damage is odd. Smashed door, broken unit, damaged smart double door AEG fridge, a couple of broken light fitments, seemingly every push up plug has gone, etc. I've 'mended' the dishwasher by removing load of grease and mould from the filter. It's becoming a bit of a treasure hunt. But given the level of neighbour complaints, better than I had feared.

Thanks for the ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now