Apparently I can't have white walls everywhere HELP

(43 Posts)
foodiefil Wed 05-Oct-16 15:30:04

Doing up an Edwardian terraced house. Our colour themes throughout are grey/white/black/neutral and I had thought for ease that we should paint everywhere white. Apparently this will make North East facing rooms feel cold? The house faces west so the back bedrooms and kitchen and dining room don't get light after lunch time basically.

What colours would you suggest would give lightness and brightness but not coolness and in the dining room - should we have a dark colour? It's very dark atm and we want to brighten it up. Got a huge mirror, any other tips would be gratefully received. Thank you

OnePlanOnHouzz Wed 05-Oct-16 15:34:15

You can use white everywhere - just add warmth with bright warm coloured and tactile accessories and warm white light bulbs .

Teahornet Wed 05-Oct-16 15:35:36

'Apparently' you can't according to whose rule book? Our whole house (which fronts south-west) is painted the same warm white throughout, chiefly because I loathe 'colour-scheme-y' looking houses and 'feature' walls. It looks great. It probably depends to an extent what kind of furniture you have and what, if anything you hang on the walls.

foodiefil Wed 05-Oct-16 15:51:09

According to someone giving me advice. Can I ask what warm white you use? Thanks

PurpleDaisies Wed 05-Oct-16 15:54:18

The point of asking for advice on this sort of thing is to listen and decide what you want to do. Someone told me no one would want to buy a house with a grey-green kitchen in it. We did it anyway because we loved it and loved and behold it was a major selling point for the house.

If you want all white walls, do it anyway. It's easy to paint over if you really don't like it.

EchidnasPhone Wed 05-Oct-16 15:56:17

We have all white through the downstairs. We also have large paintings with oranges/yellows/red plus lots of colour in soft furnishings. The walls are to hold the house up not a feature.

fiorentina Wed 05-Oct-16 20:21:49

We have a few different whites and greys in an Edwardian house. Dulux Timeless, and various Farrow and Ball whites, as well as
Blackened, which is more grey. I think it looks fine and we have mixed accessories.

IWasSpartacus Wed 05-Oct-16 21:00:05

We have white walls throughout. Does not make the house cold.

Do be careful though not to use a Pure Brilliant White (PBW) as that has blue thingies (technical term) in it to make it appear brighter. That can look a bit stark.

I found the choice of "white" overwhelming. Timeless, Pillow Fluff, yaddyyaddyyaddy so had most rooms painted Matt Trade White. Love it.

We have Crown Trade clean extreme matt WHITE on high traffic areas (stairs and kitchen) as is a bit more wipeable.

Love white.

megletthesecond Wed 05-Oct-16 21:07:16

Yes you can. Both my own houses have been painted all white. Last house was b&q white and this one is valspar tidy white.

You can soften and brighten rooms with wood, curtains etc.

puddlejumpingqueen Wed 05-Oct-16 21:13:47

We have white throughout, not a creamy white either, closer to a brilliant white. We have north facing and south facing rooms and I think it looks fab in both. We have a Modern scandi thing going, lots of natural woods, grey fabrics and some rather bold artwork. I love it and we get lots of complements. The wood/ fabrics at different textures and the artwork adds colour to stop it feeling cold or clinical (it is Victorian though so bloody cold in winter anyway). The white walls and same flooring throughout makes everything flow and feel bigger imo.

happyoldtown Wed 05-Oct-16 21:15:25

I do too. White throughout the entire house. I would say if asked most people wouldn't be able to tell you what colour the walls are. They are the backdrop rather than the feature. I recently was in a neighbours house with the same layout. Every room is a different colour. I found it really jarring to be honest and it made the house feel very compartmentalised rather than flowing. Just my opinion though.

foodiefil Wed 05-Oct-16 21:31:55

Thanks so much for your replies. This is my first house and I naively thought white was just white - rather than various types of white with different pigment.

Our colours are grey and white with a dash of orange and mustard. This cushion is coming with us to the new house where it will be on our charcoal grey corner couch in a dark East facing room - any types of white or other neutrals you'd recommend please let me know!

ChishandFips33 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:44:47

Natural calico is slightly 'beiger'/warmer than Timeless without feeling gloomy - I use this where I want light but warmer and where timeless is a touch too 'stark'
Lots of North facing rooms here some with better light than others

ChishandFips33 Wed 05-Oct-16 21:45:21

Ps loved the cushion!

foodiefil Wed 05-Oct-16 22:24:53

Thank you Chish - looking up now! Xx

Teahornet Wed 05-Oct-16 22:30:16

I agree with happy on houses with different coloured rooms feeling 'compartmentalised' to me. I have the same feeling in the neighbours' house which has the same layout to ours.

OP, I can't be entirely sure, it I think it was Farrow and Ball's Pointing.

elfonshelf Thu 06-Oct-16 20:00:27

Pointing is one of F&B's nicest colours - it's white but with a slightly pinkish yellow tinge (but so slight that you'd only really pick up on it if you saw it next to greenish whites or blueish whites). I generally use it for all woodwork (windows, skirting boards etc) in a house, but the last one I actually painted the walls in it as well and loved it. Gives a little bit of warmth.

OCSockOrphanage Thu 06-Oct-16 21:39:37

Timeless is my default. But the outside has just been painted Bleached Lichen 2, and it's very lovely. Modern but it was chosen to flatter the stonework and wooden windows, and thrilled with the result.

Any ideas for interior woodwork? We have dark wooden window frames, doors and skirting boards. It's a very light house, with lots of windows. Starting to think that the darkest version of the same Bleached Lichen is the way to go so that the colour is the same, but vanishes. Suggestions?

Apologies for the hi jack.

Doilooklikeatourist Thu 06-Oct-16 21:41:58

We have good old Trade White everywhere
It's fine

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 07-Oct-16 08:33:46

Look up Kara Rosenlund for inspirational white interiors white warm elements casually thrown in ! She has eclectic taste but has a wonderful finished result usually !!!

OnePlanOnHouzz Fri 07-Oct-16 08:34:55

Ie in Pinterest or google or Houzz etc !! Not personally !!! As she's an Aussie stylist !! Bit far to come !!

Rupster Fri 07-Oct-16 11:09:44

My daughter's north-facing bedroom is pure brilliant white on three walls. It looks great :-)

Batteriesallgone Fri 07-Oct-16 11:16:22

Ooh we have those colours! Have gone with a Laura Ashley white.

Just buy a shed load of samples. Expensive yes but means you can get it right. I love farrow and ball range of whites.

Personally I wouldn't use brilliant or pure whites on the walls - use a toned white on the walls and brilliant white on the ceiling. Makes the walls feel warmer and the rooms taller.

Farrow and Ball do some lovely creamy whites, you can try and match one of those to the mustard & orange tones, that should keep the room feeling warm.

Also do remember how much warmer a room feels when there's a fluffy rug in it. If you are using a lot of white with splashes of colour, look into texture as a way to introduce warmth.

helenatroy Fri 07-Oct-16 11:21:27

I use white everywhere. I love it. I use colour in other ways, floors, furnishings and art on walls.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 07-Oct-16 11:41:27

Sorry to hijack but for those saying they have great artwork on the walls, can anyone recommend where to source from (anything online?). We too have just done a large extension and are keeping everything brilliant white, and am looking for art work.

Thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now