Talk

Advanced search

Handleless kitchens.

(12 Posts)
FrogFairy Wed 05-Oct-16 00:11:24

Thanks to IKEA discontinuing the yellow-white Ringhult gloss kitchen, I am now considering the cream gloss Voxtorp instead.

I have read the many threads on here discussing the pros and cons of handless kitchens. I can imagine opening the doors and drawers on the base cabinets by hooking fingers over the groove. But if I try to imagine opening a wall unit, it seems I would be twisting my arm and reaching up to hook my fingers under the downward pointing groove then pulling towards me to open the door. I am short and suffer neck and shoulder pain so it just seems like a very uncomfortable manoeuvre for me.

I know there are many MNers with this style kitchen. Please would you be kind enough to comment on how awkward it is to open your upper cabinets, especially if you are short and any other downsides you have with the handeless style.

FrogFairy Fri 07-Oct-16 20:10:12

Sorry, cheeky bump for the weekend.

Please talk to me about your handeless kitchen, especially wall cabinets.

HappyGirlNow Fri 07-Oct-16 20:43:27

I'm interested too! Hope someone replies...

MrHankyTheXmasPoo Fri 07-Oct-16 21:59:03

Just in process of having one fitted. Have tested a few cupboards and doesn't feel awkward I am 5'. Will report back next week when I start using it properly

KayJBee Fri 07-Oct-16 22:12:36

We have a handless kitchen. I've never thought it awkward in any way. I'm about 5'5 and definitely don't have to reach up to open any cupboards, the bottom of the cupboards, where the groove is, is below my shoulder height. So it's just reaching forwards rather than upwards iyswim.

We liked the smooth sleek look. Not sure I can really think of pros and cons for either handles or non handles, it's more just which you prefer the look of. I guess you could never catch yourself or bash your legs on handless if you walked past too close??

KayJBee Fri 07-Oct-16 22:13:31

Thinking about it, the groove on the wall cabinets is lower down than any handle would be.

HollyWolly45 Fri 07-Oct-16 22:19:56

Oh no, which doors have been discontinued? We are just about to order the Gloss White Ringhult doors from IKEA. Hope it's not those!

FrogFairy Sat 08-Oct-16 12:45:41

Thank you all for your replies. You are fine Holly, the white and grey Ringhult are still available.

I popped to Howden today and had a play with their display kitchens. I think the handleless option is growing on me and certainly will be easy to clean.
The lady at Howden said they beat IKEA on price and quality. They certainly have more choice of cabinet sizes but I hate their "discount" pricing policy.

yawningbear Sat 08-Oct-16 19:10:00

We have the voxtorp, it is lovely, it does get grubby with the kids paw prints but very easy to wipe down and it looks fab. The whole kitchen is very uncluttered though so in keeping with that kind look, which is not something I thought I would want or be in keeping with my naturally messy inclination but actually I love it.

yawningbear Sat 08-Oct-16 19:11:00

Sorry, meant also to add, not awkward to open at all.

FrogFairy Sun 09-Oct-16 14:06:25

Thanks bear, it is good to know you like your Voxtorp kitchen.
I am a messy person too, a clutter free kitchen would be a miracle in this house.

Queenhoneybee Sun 09-Oct-16 14:24:25

We spent a fortune on the handleless Santos kitchen in our last house. Beautiful & fabulous quality but v expensive. http://santos.es/eng/1-santos-kitchens-designed-to-help-you

Just put in the handleless kitchen from B&Q in our new house. Quality isn't as great but for the price I'm really happy with it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now