Should we contact the vendor direct?

(27 Posts)
BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 11:26:22

We've made a serious offer on this house but every step of the way the agent seems to be trying to put us off buying it, in favour of another party who have offered 25k more but are not even proceed-able. We can't be 100% sure but there's something dodgy going on between the the other party and the agents. We're even doubting that our offer has been comunicated to the vendor who has relocated abroad.

So would it be cheeky to contact the vendor directly? Clearly if our offers have been put to them then they will know who we are already. But if not then at least we have direct communication and can cut the crap that the agent is feeding us.

I've done a little snooping and I've found the husband & wife online. On one hand were desperate for this house but I also don't want to look unhinged grin gahh!

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 12:32:17

Anyone with any word of wisdom? confused I've got no fingernails left. I'm not cut out for this house buying business!

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Oct-16 12:34:17

Don't do it-if you'd swapped numbers when you viewed the house maybe that would be ok. Online snooping to find their details makes you look like a crazy stalker.

When we sold our house recently there's no way I'd have dealt with buyers directly.

CanandWill Tue 04-Oct-16 12:37:54

I wouldn't. The other party have offered 25k more then you. There is your answer really. The owner might not be in a hurry to sell.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 04-Oct-16 12:44:50

No, firstly as others have said, if you've stalked the vendor to find his details you'll come across as slightly mad and the vendors will think you'll be a nightmare to deal with and won't accept your offer anyway.

Secondly, if the vendor has relocated he may be in no real hurry to sell and an offer £25k more than yours, even if it may take longer to go through, is better (so the estate agent is doing its job in following the vendors instructions).

Thirdly, the vendor will no doubt feed the direct contact back to the EA who will then also think you're mad and / or be annoyed and will be reluctant to deal with you in the future.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 04-Oct-16 12:49:32

It doesn't sound dodgy, they've offered £25k more!

Just be persistent with the agent, about where you stand.

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:01:33

Ok. So what are our options? Property is still on the market being marketed by rouge agent. They haven't officially gone under offer because of this other party dawdling, meanwhile they are making silly offers to put other buyers off. But we can't fully trust the agent. Do we match it? Doubtful that that the bank will value it much higher.

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Oct-16 13:04:50

Can you afford to match it?

I'd ask the estate agent to clarify the situation and start looking at other properties.

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:05:34

I don't want to out myself but there's more to it. We've offered 75k under asking. House needs a lot doing to it. But as far as we see it we are the only two interested parties left in the mix.

25k means bugger all if you have an empty house with you cant insure that could be empty for a further 5-6months. And you're the opposite side of the world. But maybe that's just me. confused

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Oct-16 13:06:38

I'd definitely have waited 6 months for £25k more.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 04-Oct-16 13:07:06

You have to make yourselves more attractive - have you sold your property? If so, then perhaps make a higher offer (not necessarily matching the other offer) and set out to agent that you're able to proceed quickly, you really want the house so will co-operate fully with the vendors in terms of timescales, if you need additional funding demonstrate you have the mortgage offer in place / solicitor lined up. Other than that, there is nothing more that you can do.

If the bank doesn't value it at what you offer, then you can negotiate potentially.

JaneAustinAllegro Tue 04-Oct-16 13:09:15

for an offer so far under asking, it's not unreasonable that they're still marketing but you need to clarify at what point they will stop that - you don't want to waste huge sums on survey / lawyers etc

RustyBear Tue 04-Oct-16 13:13:22

Why do you say they can't insure an empty property? It's perfectly possible -I did it on my dad's house between his death and the house being sold. It just costs a bit more - nothing like £25k over 6 months, though.

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:14:06

In the 3 weeks since our initial offer we've seen everything on the market in our price bracket. There's very little on to be fair. We've leafleted the three roads that we want to be on. Not much has come of it. Nothing ticks all the boxes as much as this place does. We've upped our offer by 30k this morning but because of the time difference we won't know until tomorrow.

Houses of this size, in this area rarely come up for sale. This other party live on the same street a number of doors down. we've viewed their over priced house Agent has told us a lot more than they should really but at the same time seems to have a vested interest in getting this party in at all costs. Because they won't sell theirs unless they secure this one. Gahhh!

I think I've sprouted a few free hairs in the last few weeks!

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:17:52

We've had three offers on ours, one proceed able. Finances are in place. Solicitor is good to go. Our only down side is that we're not willing to make silly bids with these guys.

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Oct-16 13:18:41

Are you in a rush to move? Three weeks really isn't a long time when you're house hunting. Things often get busier after Christmas.

PurpleDaisies Tue 04-Oct-16 13:20:41

Our only down side is that we're not willing to make silly bids with these guys.

Why are you saying their bid is silly? They still must be offering under the asking price. The house is worth whatever someone wants to pay for it. Unfortunately they might have more than you. It depends what the vendor wants though-if you came up a bit they might take your readiness to go over a higher offer, unless then weren't in a hurry.

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:28:16

purple Were keen to move, yes. We've been looking since early August. When it first went on we weren't in a position to offer. We waited and watched, it went under offer very quickly with these guys in the premise that they needed to sell theirs within two weeks. Now that hasn't happened, it then got put back on the market which is when we offered a few weeks back.

CryingShame Tue 04-Oct-16 13:33:05

Biker, are the £25k bidders selling their house with the same agent as the house you want to buy?

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:33:49

Yes, massive conflict of interest there!

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:35:49

The agents were trying very hard to convince us to buy theirs. Which is a nice house, just not for us and not at that price! Closer to the road and a tricky drive to manuver into.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Tue 04-Oct-16 13:36:26

That's why then. The agents have probably got the buyers a period of time with the vendors in which to become under offer. The only way you can compete with this is by upping your offer.

BikerMouse Tue 04-Oct-16 13:49:20

But that period has been and gone. That's why it was put back on the market. Anyway will wait it out and see what the vendor come back with.

coolpatterngirl Tue 04-Oct-16 14:23:12

Our situation was identical. We had to match the other offer.

namechangedtoday15 Tue 04-Oct-16 15:45:14

So you've now offered £5k than the other couple? And have you accepted the offer on your house so it's officially Sold Subject To Contract?

If so, would suggest you're in a good position - but sounds like you're still £45k under the asking price so depends what vendor wants to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now