Where do I stand with tenant rights and what not?

(19 Posts)
Nikki2ol6 Mon 03-Oct-16 16:21:50

We seen a house we liked but it needed redecorating but that's wasn't a problem so we went for it and got it (private renting) we began stripping walls and ripping up carpets. We noticed the previous people had wallpapered the ceiling and it was sagging so we pulled a piece off and noticed polystyrene all over th ceilings! Told the landlord who came took a look and said it needed removed and got someone out to take a look. He told her £250 and my landlord wasn't happy with this price and I think maybe she was hoping a lot less!! Now it doesn't look like it's getting done and we can't move in until it's sorted as apprently it's illegal to rent a property with these on the ceilings for fire risks and such.... so we have had to put a halt to the decorating as if ceilings are coming down we don't want to spoil all the new deco, we have had to prospone the carpets coming for the same reason, but we need to be out of our previous house soon as our months notice is almost up!!! What do we do???

specialsubject Mon 03-Oct-16 17:34:33

Landlord that wont spend £250 is possibly not a landlord you want.

Why are you redecorating and recarpeting as tenants?

Have you signed the tenancy? Has rent been paid?

You can check the fire regs online, i dont think those tiles are explicitly illegal although obviously they should go. I dont understand why your landlord doesnt want to pay up, with incoming tenants. Very odd.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 03-Oct-16 18:06:07

We paid a security deposit and first months rent upfront and our next rent is due in a couple of weeks. She said she left it the way it was as when she does get it decorated the tenants always change it to the way they want it anyways so has said she will pay half for what ever we pay for paint and wallpaper and carpets and such

Vajazzler Mon 03-Oct-16 18:30:47

That sounds dodgy as fuck. You're already paying rent despite not living there yet?

AppleMagic Mon 03-Oct-16 18:35:46

What date was your tenancy agreement due to start? Im also a landlord and agree with the pp.

I think at this point I would try to cut my losses and find somewhere else to live but I'd be concerned that you'll have to take the landlord to court to recover what you've already paid.

RenterNomad Mon 03-Oct-16 18:43:22

Oh, dear. It's not your responsibility, and not in your interests, to invest in a property which you don't own.

Talk to Shelter about getting out of this tenancy and getting your money back, if it's really unfit for habitation.

Nikki2ol6 Mon 03-Oct-16 19:42:59

That's just the way private renting works you pay upfront. We have the keys and could move in but we decided since we had to give our old landlord 1 months notice we would still live here for a couple of weeks while we decorate the new house

potentialqualms Mon 03-Oct-16 20:04:57

You shouldn't be paying rent if it'snot habitable though. Different if you've chosen to pay to secure it and delayed moving in for your own reasons.

AppleMagic Mon 03-Oct-16 23:20:48

Its normal to pay first month's rent upfront, it is not normal or acceptable for the property not to be habitable on the day the tenancy commences. As a tenant you have rights!

Nikki2ol6 Tue 04-Oct-16 12:14:07

Well we are supposed to be moving in this weekend but could have moved in when we signed the forms and paid upfront and were handed the keys 2 weeks ago

adriennewillfly Tue 04-Oct-16 20:05:44

england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/health_and_safety/hhsrs

evrybuddy Wed 05-Oct-16 07:42:52

Where does it say that it's illegal to let a property with polystyrene ceiling tiles?

It's certainly not illegal to sell one! Or buy one - although it is defintely a crime against taste.

Are you sure you don't mean that it's against building regulations to install a polystyrene ceiling?

In the same way that it's against building regs to do many, many things but it's not a breach or crime if the 'thing' is already in situ - for example old wiring, badly insulated walls, non-compliant double glazing etc etc etc

All thing you wouldn't do now in a house but you don't have to rebuild every house, every time they change the building regs

NotCitrus Wed 05-Oct-16 08:12:28

Have the fire service actually said it's unsafe?
I doubt existing polystyrene tiles are a problem, but why don't you just pull them down yourself if you don't like them? I've just done a ceiling of them in my house - most therapeutic!

Nikki2ol6 Sun 09-Oct-16 11:31:48

Ok so she got someone in to remove the tiles and underneath as you can imagine the ceiling is a mess!!! She asked us to wallpaper it and we said no way are we wallpapering ceilings im 28 weeks pregnant and haven't got a clue!! So she said she would have it looked at so two different companies have came and said there is no plaster left on the ceiling all 3 ceilings need skimmed!! Now she's dithering around getting a plasterer and we have put plastic sheets up at the walls to protect our new wallpaper and sheets over all our new flooring to protect those so then we message her today to see what time the men are coming and she said probs end of next week!!!! We need this done now as our other tenancy ends in 12 days we simply came move our stuff in till after the ceilings are plastered as we would have to juggle it all around the rooms. As if being pregnant and moving house isn't stressful enough now this!! What do we do?

specialsubject Sun 09-Oct-16 11:46:59

Workmen can'r be produced quickly, sorry.

The reasonable thing for her is to waive the rent while the place cannot be lived in.

BowiesJumper Sun 09-Oct-16 15:48:01

Why are you paying to decorate what is essentially someone else's house?? I know you'll be living there but the landlord should be paying all those costs.

19lottie82 Sun 09-Oct-16 15:56:07

Wall papering a ceiling? confused

Yes, they will need skimmed.

If you're stripping off wall paper on the walls, there's a good chance they will need skimmed as well.

Seriously this arrangement seems like a total mess!

Why are you putting so much effort (and funds) into decorating somewhere that you can be given your notice from as soon as your fixed term lease is up?

birdladyfromhomealone Sun 09-Oct-16 21:18:02

I am a LL and I dont let any of my tenants do their own decorating. we have professional painters and decorators in between tenants every 3 years.
It is not your responsibility to paint or recarpet, and we are also private LL.
Most odd IMHO.

SauvignonPlonker Sun 09-Oct-16 21:36:01

Your LL should be offering you a rent reduction as the property is not habitable. And paying for the redecoration. It really is not your responsibility.

I'm wondering if she is an amateur LL & doesn't know what she's doing. Or just at it, trying to get tenants to pay for work which she should be funding.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now