Talk

Advanced search

Tell me about your beautiful freestanding baths…

(46 Posts)
TheTeaFairy Mon 03-Oct-16 07:31:36

Our bathroom is about to be gutted so I'm starting from scratch and really fancy this beauty… but not the price!

I want a freestanding bath, but without feet. Show me your bathing receptacles grin

TIA flowers

TheTeaFairy Mon 03-Oct-16 09:14:12

I've found this one, which is a similar shape.

Does anyone have one of these? Does it creak when you get in it?

I'd prefer a steel bath (e.g. Bette/Kaldewei) but can't find one I like…

TheTeaFairy Mon 03-Oct-16 14:40:49

Anyone? desperate

anotherdayanothersquabble Mon 03-Oct-16 15:47:17

I have one with feet! Had one in our last house too. I love them!! We live in France but I did see some plain to the floor ones for around €1,500 so I am sure you can find one cheaper in the UK.

PuraVida Mon 03-Oct-16 19:10:59

I KNEW it'd be a bath monopoly bath. I've been lusting over the soho for years. Sorry no help but I feel your pain

TheTeaFairy Mon 03-Oct-16 19:51:17

Aw, thank you anotherday and PuraVida. Nice to have some company over here on the soggy bathmat bench smile

Must be sensible and not blow essential radiator money on a bath

Hotbot Mon 03-Oct-16 19:54:20

tecaz.com/online-store/Webshop/browse/type/Roll-Top,-Freestanding-and-Slipper/category/Roll-Top-Baths/

Any good ?

HereIAm20 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:03:12

Here is mine

It is from Ridgeons

I think it was about £600 (plus taps)

sorenipples Mon 03-Oct-16 20:47:55

When a free standing bath is against a wall, is it easy to keep clean? Debating whether to have one in my fantasy bathroom refurbishment plans .

Etak15 Mon 03-Oct-16 20:52:59

Gorgeous, I want one, where does the waste pipe go though without being seen? Can't see yours so there is obviously a good way of hiding it!

TheTeaFairy Tue 04-Oct-16 07:45:24

Some great prices there Hotbot, thank you.

Lovely bathroom HereIam20 smile

Not sure I've factored cleaning into my design sorenipples - am focusing on the aesthetics for now for my sins

Think the waste pipe is one of those shiny tubes Etak.

Any more tubs to show me?

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Tue 04-Oct-16 07:51:16

Mine is an older model of this http://vandabaths.com/en/europe/product/ionian/

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Tue 04-Oct-16 07:58:04

Actually its this one http://vandabaths.com/en/europe/product/ravello/

really love, doesn't creak.

specialsubject Tue 04-Oct-16 09:15:09

Baths are built in for a reason. Fancy pants the designer will not have thought about cleaning and splashes. You should.

TheTeaFairy Tue 04-Oct-16 10:00:01

Always the voice of reason specialsubject - thanks for bringing me back down to earth.

Now pondering this sort of thing which seems like a good compromise.

Has anyone got a Carronite bath? I'd love to know how it feels/wears…?

TheTeaFairy Tue 04-Oct-16 10:00:43

Thanks Inever - that's a beaut!

PuraVida Tue 04-Oct-16 13:09:21

That's the sort I've been considering. I think if you google D shaped bath you'll see the sort

It's annoying that all the pics show them from above. I want to see how they look from the front and side

TheTeaFairy Tue 04-Oct-16 13:40:22

My thoughts exactly Pura - is that because they need to be boxed in from the front/side, do you think?

scaryteacher Tue 04-Oct-16 16:59:49

www.castironbath.co.uk/falmouth-cast-iron-bath.html is what I have painted in F&B Clunch.

It sadly, is in my house in Cornwall, whilst I live in belgium. The tenants are told they will be shot if they damage or repaint my bath or bathroom.

The type you want OP is a bateau bath. The CastIron bath company sell those as well, but at £2k plus, I think you'd need to win the lottery. The copper ones at £3k plus are very beautiful though!

BagelGoesWalking Tue 04-Oct-16 17:05:00

Sorry to be the boring voice of reason but I've never got the passion for these! I know they look lovely but they must take up lots of room, more than a normal bath? They just seem so impractical. Faff to clean, splashes must go everywhere, especially where you can't access easily to mop up, can't rinse hair properly without contorting oneself, must be a nightmare with children and and waves created ... Just don't get it

TheTeaFairy Wed 05-Oct-16 08:17:50

That's a useful site scary - thank you. I'm also in Cornwall smile Love that copper bath.

TheTeaFairy Wed 05-Oct-16 08:19:18

Although I've just realised you live in Belgium…

TheTeaFairy Wed 05-Oct-16 08:20:14

Any Carronite bath owners out there? Tell me if you love/hate them flowers

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Wed 05-Oct-16 08:21:26

We have one.

Teenage dd has flooded the lounge and short circuited the electricity three times now.

FrickOnAStick Wed 05-Oct-16 08:32:40

I have a Victoria & Albert 'York' bateau bath in my master bathroom. It is fab. Deep, comfortable and big but not too big (some of of them are too long and you can't sit/lie at the right angle, the York is 1.8m).

I originally wanted the V&A Marlborough because of the shape at the front (it dips) but it is too long (almost 2m!). I lay in it and couldn't touch the end! Better for tall folks (I'm 5'7")

The first picture is my York bath. The second is the Marlborough. Both are bateau baths on solid bases rather than feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now