Talk

Advanced search

Dishwasher tap adapter / Table top dishwasher

(6 Posts)
MistressMolecules Sat 01-Oct-16 16:14:10

I have come to the conclusion that I NEED a dishwasher!

Herein lies the problem, I don't have room for a full size or even a slimline. It will have to be a table top which I can't plumb into the main water supply. The reason for not being able to plumb in with the washing machine is that I can't make holes in the counter top as the property is rented and alterations like this are not allowed. I can't remove cupboards either etc. So this leaves me with the only option of gettting an adapter for the sink tap, but I have no idea what to get! The tap is a single mixer tap and the end of the tap is at a 90 degree angle. I think I maybe able to remove the internal aerator (sp?) but not entirely convinced - there is nothing on the outside of the tap which is removable.

Anybody know what sort of adapter I would need? I was looking at this and this.

PigletJohn Sat 01-Oct-16 17:03:25

tap adaptors are very liable to pop off and squirt water everywhere. The screw in one would be more secure, and it is not difficult to remove an aerator IF enough project to get a spanner on see pic

Mixer taps are not good to put hoses on as they may leak at the pivot.

You would have to fit the hose before every use, and remove it afterwards.

You could get an extra-long washer fill hose if you can find a reasonably neat route for it, for example threaded up over or beside the washing machine. Changing a fill hose is not very difficult.

I suppose your washing machine tap is under the sink? Can you show us a pic of that cupboard, with the doors closed, and again with the doors open showing the pipework.

MistressMolecules Sat 01-Oct-16 18:03:59

Thanks for answering PigletJohn, there would be enough of the aerator to get a spanner on it like in the picture - woudl the adapter be able to stay on and just remove the water inlet pipe/hose?

The taps for the washing machine are actually behind the washing machine, the waste pipe runs up and over the cupboard end piece and beneath the sink (and the stopcock is at the other side of the washing machine in another cupboard if that is relevant?) and the dishwasher would be sat at the left of the sink when facing it.

I've attached pictures of the pipework.

PigletJohn Sat 01-Oct-16 18:35:48

In my opinion, it would be possible to poke the pipe down over or beside the washer, through the side or back of the sink unit, and connect it to the pipework. I can't see a washer connection tap, but there must be one, either under the sink or behind the washer. The backs of sink units are designed to have holes cut in them for pipes.

You could probably poke the waste hose down the same way (though it is thicker) and connect it to the waste pipe. Your picture is not clear, but the washer waste hose is probably connected like that. I think I can see a waste hose connector under the half-sink waste.

It is preferable to fit a new washer valve to the cold water pipe for the dwr, rather than try to join on. This, and the waste connector, are minor plumbing jobs. IMO it is preferable to have a plumber do the plumbing rather than rely on a deliveryman from the appliance shop who may have had minimal training. With a tabletop dwr you can also flop the waste hose into the sink, though you must remember to take the plug out and to position the hose so it can't slip out.

Here are a couple of examples, but there is a range depending what fits best in your situation. Loose or crooked connections are very prone to leaks.
www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-appliance-trap-white-40mm/95241

www.screwfix.com/search?search=washing+valve

long filling hose
www.screwfix.com/p/washing-machine-inlet-hose-blue-2-5m-x/10955

PigletJohn Sat 01-Oct-16 18:43:32

as for the tap aerator, the picture suggests there is a threaded nipple that you screw into the tap spout, and you would screw the appliance hose nut onto that (discard the garden hose connector).

The device is quite cheap, so if you are thinking about it, it would be worth buying one in advance to see if it fits your tap. It probably will.

PigletJohn Sat 01-Oct-16 18:45:53

I think it is one of these

(99p)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now