Talk

Advanced search

Grand Designs Live: worth it? any tips?

(15 Posts)
ShortLass Wed 28-Sep-16 13:51:56

Sounds like it could be fun, but may come back with too many expensive ideas.

Anyone been? Worth it? Any tips?

Stay over the night before? Try an early morning drive? Where can I park? Or best stay cheap somewhere and get transport in?

It's NEC in Birmingham. I'm 1 hour 45mins drive away (up the M1), but only if no traffic!

user1471446905 Wed 28-Sep-16 15:41:24

I have been in London twice, it's good but very busy and tiring. Only really worth it if you have a project in mind or underway. Do not be one of the eejits who turns up with a buggy! It is not an event for kids and people with buggies proved to be a nightmare as it was so crowded! Might be less crowded at the NEC I went to excel

HiDBandSIL Wed 28-Sep-16 15:58:19

Oh dear... I was planning to go and take my two DC in a buggy! grin

Crumbelina Wed 28-Sep-16 16:18:42

We went to the one in London and it was great! Really recommended. We're in the middle of a house renovation and it was great to see a large range of bifold doors, flooring, kitchens, ovens, windows etc and pick up lots of brochures and contacts. If possible I'd go on a week day as it wasn't busy at all. Also, look out for 2 for 1 ticket offers online.

Oh, and we went with a buggy to Excel and it was no problem at all. Not sure what else we could do with our 6 month old. hmm

Have fun! smile

JT05 Wed 28-Sep-16 16:51:38

Go early, the car park, allocated, is a fair way from the exhibition hall. There are busses that take you to the hall. It is really a trade exhibition with some household bits and pieces stalls. We used to go every other year because it became too samey. Not going at all this year as we felt it was not so good last time, no houses to look around, mostly eager sales people.

parrots Wed 28-Sep-16 17:39:50

I also went to the London one and definitely found it worthwhile

ShortLass Wed 28-Sep-16 18:25:13

I think I'm going to go. Hoping to get day off work.

No buggy to take. Will look at driving and parking, as this would be the cheaper option. Is there anywhere to have breakfast?

Thanks for all your comments. I wonder when it's next in London as that would probably be easier.

JT05 Wed 28-Sep-16 18:41:37

At the NEC there are the usual chain food outlets.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 28-Sep-16 19:04:59

Worthwhile. But I had free tickets.

Useful because i got detailed advice from miele/Siemens about the appropriate appliances and had a good perve at different kitchens. Also looked at glazing.

For anyone with children, don't expect to get much done unless you have a kid who is very happy to sit in a pushchair. I took my baby and it was absolutely fine, just a bit sedentary.

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 28-Sep-16 19:06:16

Often companies have deals (quooker, miele all had discounts) if you order on the day. Bring a smartphone so you can google things.

Go to one that's close, time wise, to your build. I went to one too early, ended up with appliances sitting in my garage waiting for the build to start!

ShortLass Wed 28-Sep-16 20:43:40

Well, I am going far too close to my build, DustOff, but I think I could go and get ideas this time, then if there's one in London in Spring, I can go prepared to bargain!

Build not 'till next year and desperate to get started with architects etc, but have to wait. This would be a fun displacement activity.

Getting advice on kitchen appliances would actually be really useful and I would love a perve at bifold doors and roof lights grin

DustOffYourHighestHopes Wed 28-Sep-16 21:03:14

I don't know about Siemens, but if you're going for Miele I think they might have a special area where you register for free as soon as you get there - then someone sits down with you and advises you on stuff.

ShortLass Thu 29-Sep-16 07:17:07

Thanks for mentioning free tickets, DustOff. I did a google and managed to find a code and got my ticket for free:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/grand-designs-live

DustOffYourHighestHopes Thu 29-Sep-16 08:27:00

Brilliant! Totally worth the trip when the tickets are free!

namechangealerttt Thu 29-Sep-16 14:56:20

Really good and got to speak to some manufacturers of products we intended to buy then got a discount code off them. Check eBay if you don't have free tickets because you can probably buy someone else's free tickets for 99p

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now