Advanced search

Listed building insurance...

(17 Posts)
FledglingFTB Tue 27-Sep-16 10:43:57

Any suggestions for good providers? All the online searches I've tried can't give me a quick quote, I get a phone number to ring. The first one I have rang took 40 minutes and sneakily almost got me to commit to it. I was bamboozled!

abear Tue 27-Sep-16 10:47:30

We have a listed home with all sorts of odd things which lots of companies won't insure. Eventually I went with the broker AON and they got different quotes etc for us and they placed our business with Hiscox

Pradaqueen Tue 27-Sep-16 11:35:32

Second Hiscox. I can PM you the name of an excellent broker but be warned, Hiscix are' cheap but they are excellent.

Pradaqueen Tue 27-Sep-16 11:35:47


mintthins Tue 27-Sep-16 11:39:08

The Listed Buildings owners club recommend someone. We looked into it when we were buying a listed building, but it fell through, so we didn't iyswim. Their details are on the website here

FledglingFTB Tue 27-Sep-16 12:09:59

Thanks all, Hiscox don't cover our area, but they have recommended a broker. I didn't know there was a LB club! Will have a nosey...

misson Wed 28-Sep-16 14:08:23

Try nfu. Especially if it's non standard construction.

Iwantawhippet Wed 28-Sep-16 14:17:57

Nationwide. Surprisingly reasonable too.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Wed 28-Sep-16 14:24:51

Are you grade one or two? We are two and with Liverpool Victoria.

Justwanttoweeinpeace Wed 28-Sep-16 14:26:42

We are of national interest though, rather than being really old. That might have made it easier for us as we don't have lost building techniques to worry about.

Unicornsarelovely Wed 28-Sep-16 14:31:11

NFU have been absolutely brilliant for us - grade 2. Covered a lot of building work as well, which many don't.

FledglingFTB Wed 28-Sep-16 14:47:37

Thanks all. It's grade 2, nothing really out of the ordinary. Brick and slate. We've got a quote from Home Protect which is very reasonable. I'd not heard of them before but the reviews are good. I'll take a look at the others, time is running out - hopefully we exchange tomorrow! shock

Tiredandtested Wed 28-Sep-16 19:38:23

NFU have served us well. Grade II.

pinkieandperkie Wed 28-Sep-16 19:44:45

Virgin. Grade 11

Wolpertinger Wed 28-Sep-16 19:47:11

I use Lark via the Listed Building Society - they've been v helpful esp with a claim for jackdaw damage after jackdaws came down the chimney and had a party when we were on holiday shock

However mine is timber framed and v v old despite only being Grade 2 - didn't dare mess about with insurance for it as everything is specialist.

cavkc123 Wed 28-Sep-16 19:48:21

I used bhib insurance in Leicester, I can give you a contact there if you need it

elfonshelf Thu 06-Oct-16 20:35:18

We have a 500 year old timber framed - only Grade II but everything else in the road is Grade I or II* so the Conservation Officer keeps a beady eye on everything.

We went with Lark via the Listed Property Owners Club and they were fantastic. Also considerably cheaper than Hiscox who were our previous insurers.

One of the things Lark were v helpful with was working out what we needed to insure for in case we had to do a total rebuild (i.e. after a fire) and explaining how to calculate the cost. They also 'got' the issues with not being able to fit certain things due to having C17th doors that you can't hack chunks out of for modern locks and even sent us links to possible alternatives that they would accept.

Never had to make a claim... long may that continue... but we've been very pleased with them.

You also get 50% of the cost of annual membership with the LPOC if you insure with them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now