Talk

Advanced search

Victorian semi

(8 Posts)
ootsideinbacktaefront Mon 26-Sep-16 21:04:58

Im looking at this style of house. 3 bedrooms, lovely big houses with high ceilings bit of character etc.. But everyone saying how expensive they are to run and how they are money pits?! So how much more expensive are these to run???

namechangedtoday15 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:35:30

I think it depends on each particular house and how much updating / maintenance has been done over the years.

We rented one for about 2 years - so we could see the issues that would have needed to be put right, but those costs weren't ours if you see what I mean. But, it was a big tall house, big rooms with high ceilings. Single glazed and draughty, so although the central heating system was modern and efficient, we needed it on much more to warm up the house. Gas bills were really high (we moved in in January - admittedly we had a newborn and it was a really cold winter but the gas bill for January and February was £500).

We had damp in the cellar which wasn't really an issue for us, but would have needed to have been put right at some point, the windows (we had ice on the insides during a really cold window), it had all been rewired so that was ok, pipework (plumbing) had to be replaced rather than repaired once when we had a leak. Also had a burst from frozen pipes (might be completely wrong but I think it was old metal pipes rather than plastic pipes so more prone to freezing). None of the walls was straight, so wardrobes etc were free standing rather than built in (unless you wanted to pay for a joiner to make it look straight!), bath looked wonky etc.

Having said all that, it was a lovely house and we really liked it, just be prepared and check carefully what has been done in terms of updating before you proceed.

YelloDraw Tue 27-Sep-16 10:42:07

Is there a loft? A nice insulated loft will make a big difference.

My Victorian terrace didn't have a loft (was built up into the attic as rooms originally) and so was absolutely fucking freezing up there. Electric blankets were a must. Fan heater to give it a quick blast in the morning when getting dressed.

JT05 Tue 27-Sep-16 13:37:47

Insulation Is the key. Loads of loft insulation. It's unlikely to have cavity walls so no insulation there. If possible, double glazing, flue cover for open fireplaces ( taken out when fire on!). Install a wood burning stove and put underfloor insulation in, if there is a cellar.
Upkeep is no more than for any period house. It is easier now to get original fittings, from reclaimation yards and use some modern materials for repairs. In the past the only way to get original bits and pieces was head first down a skip! grin
I'm a Victorian/ Edwardian house fan, so I accept a few shortcomings for the style. Go for it!

ootsideinbacktaefront Tue 27-Sep-16 14:00:04

The loft and cellar have both been converted!!

heron98 Tue 27-Sep-16 14:03:23

I lived in one that had been converted to flats. It was very draughty and damp. Great room sizes though!

JT05 Tue 27-Sep-16 18:19:34

You can always retro fit insulation to the loft and cellar.

YelloDraw Tue 27-Sep-16 18:36:23

You can always retro fit insulation to the loft and cellar.

Not it there is no loft and it has been converted. If you have it re-roofed you can fit insulation board stuff between the rafters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now