Talk

Advanced search

Awkward bathroom - can you have taps in the middle AND an over bath shower?

(77 Posts)
PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 18:07:03

our small bathroom has two windows and a door and cannot fit a separate shower cubicle. currently has no shower. i need a shower.

the only solution to not having a shower in front of a window would be to have a bath with taps in the middle, with a shower over the bath also in the middle. i cannot find any pictures of this set up so am starting to doubt its wisdom.

i can't find a shower, as in the controls and head etc with integrated taps for the bath, so i guess i'd need to buy seperate ones, and these would need to match.

also can any bath be used with a shower over or do you need it to be reinforced or anything?

it's all very complicated . i have more questions but might see if ayone is interested enough before droning on grin

Clayhead Mon 26-Sep-16 18:12:06

We did! I'm not sure how as it was in our last house and someone else fitted it but we had taps in the middle and an over bath shower at one end. HTH.

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 18:16:23

Excellent t. Did it look ok? Did your taps and shower match? Were they all in one or separate?

I've drawn a plan. You can see design is one of my strong points, along with artistic flair

OlennasWimple Mon 26-Sep-16 18:20:23

THere are lots of mixer taps that have a shower head as well - if your water pressure is decent, this might work well?

DoreenLethal Mon 26-Sep-16 18:22:12

We have taps in the middle and a shower at one end.

therealgrandsophy Mon 26-Sep-16 18:23:15

We did in our last house. We fitted a double ended bath and had the taps wall mounted with the shower above. Worked a treat!

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 18:26:07

Oh your shower was at one end? I need it to be in the middle

TheBitterBoy Mon 26-Sep-16 18:27:55

We have similar, but with taps at one end and a shower at the other end. We didn't install it, but I assume we have some pipes running along the floor under the bath somehow.

kitchenlights Mon 26-Sep-16 18:28:43

We have shower and taps integrated in the middle. It's shit for shower curtains but definitely possible.

kitchenlights Mon 26-Sep-16 18:30:59

This looks like an expensive version of what you want?
https://www.victorianplumbing.co.uk/crosswater-central-bath-shower-mixer-with-kit-ce422dc?campaign=googlebase&gclid=CjwKEAjwjqOBRDribyJpcc_mzHgSJABdnsFWYBJFTZc64e9zKw4ZgJj-sn1k9USO4Ev2Bqbm3dUoRoCcc_rw_wcB

TheBitterBoy Mon 26-Sep-16 18:33:41

This kind of thing? www.ukshowerenclosures.net/2014/11/shower-screen-solutions-for-over-bath.html

therealgrandsophy Mon 26-Sep-16 19:00:21

We got round the shower curtain problem by getting our plumber to bend some copper piping into a huge oval rail and then we had 2 shower curtains. Worked really well and looked trendy. Plus cost pennies.

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 19:46:05

Yes I'm happy with an oval rail suspended from the ceiling and a curtain, I've actually got a beeautiful one from anthropologie. It's the actual tap / shower contraption that I can't get my head around

I don't want a handheld extension to the tap. I want an actual shower, sin thing like this but it'll have to have taps to fill the bath under it

It could all be inset into the wall to hide the supporting bit which would make it neater I guess

PigletJohn Mon 26-Sep-16 19:49:40

Why must the shower be in the middle, not at the end?

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 19:50:23

Would inserting it all in the wall so just the turning bits and shower head project out need a false wall to hide all the gubbins behind or can the existing wall be channeled out? The room is narrow and I don't want to lose much width

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 19:51:42

Because there are no walks at the end PigletJ. One end abuts the door the other has a window (see technically correct not to scale diagram - the blue bits are Windows)

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 19:52:39

*walls (arthritic fingers / tiny phone)

namechangedtoday15 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:55:44

Can't you build a false wall (70cm) the width of the bath to the left of the door as you come in and fit the shower on that wall?

EarSlaps Mon 26-Sep-16 19:56:41

Could you change the way round your door opens and then build a wall behind the bath that the shower and taps could be on? Or switch round where your bath and toilet are? Obviously both of those would only be an option with a total refit.

EarSlaps Mon 26-Sep-16 19:57:15

Great minds namechange

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 19:58:21

Our current arrangement is like this we have a hand held tap extension thing jimmied onto the wall but we a) have to stand in front of the window to shower and b) although the windowsill is tiled and the frame sealed I still suspect that the damp problem we have on that wall downstairs is not unconnected

enolagayits0815 Mon 26-Sep-16 19:59:53

We have that and it works a treat.

enolagayits0815 Mon 26-Sep-16 20:00:45

Oh and we have the shower on a false wall at the end

PuraVida Mon 26-Sep-16 20:00:52

The room is only 165 cm wide. I think a false wall would take up precious space and make it v closed in. Would it really be easier than my initial suggestion? (Genuine q)

It's going to be a total refit but it seems keeping the soil pipe where it is is v important budget wise so loo is the least moveable thing regrettably

EarSlaps Mon 26-Sep-16 20:04:15

You could switch the toilet and the bath around and put in a false wall between the two as well. Depending on space you might even manage a bit of built in storage there too.

In our last house we had a bath put in with the tap handles on one wall and the water coming out of an outlet where the overflow was iyswim. It was really neat, nothing for the children to knock their heads on and it didn't get all covered in limescale either. The tap handles we chose were pretty deep though and they had to build the wall out a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now