Advanced search

Offered on a house. No response??

(20 Posts)
nell15 Mon 26-Sep-16 03:35:58

Hi after almost two years of searching we found a house n the village we like and right for us
It's a private sale (a couple are splitting up) and after viewing last Thursday we emailed with an offer on fri and the vendor emailed me back to say she would discuss it with her ex p and get back to us the next day, Saturday. I've heard nothing since!!!! I don't know what is going on or what to do next.

I found this house through leafleting the area and I got an email to say tell me about this house from someone who was the mother of this woman and we exchanged emails about the house - she then forwarded our email onto her daughter who arranged for us to view her property.
I explained to her that we didn't need a mortgage and that we already have a buyer for our house who is happy to wait for us to find somewhere, so we're in a good position

The vendor told us she'd had her house valued by two estate agents 220k - 230 so we offered 225k midway and bearing in mind that she won't have to pay estate agent fees
Had she then got back to me and said no, not enough I'd have gone up to 227, 500 but I've heard NOTHiING. what now?

I'm so disappointed. We really thought we were in with a good chance.
I sent her a quick friendly email saying "hi, hope you're ok have you had chance to consider our offer, let us know what you think" - no reply, so what now?? Do I email her mum who contacted me in the first place? Go round and knock at the vendors door and ask her? Forget the whole thing? I'm stuck!!!

Portobelly Mon 26-Sep-16 03:44:30

You can only wait.

itlypocerka Mon 26-Sep-16 06:54:50

The person who doesn't talk first after an initial money value is mentioned in any financial situation has the upper hand in any subsequent negotiations. If you chase up they know they can play hardball and fight you up to paying more. If you stay silent they worry they may have lost your interest already. They have your contact details. It is much more likely that the silence is due to their own divorce issues (it may be that one of them doesn't want to sell). Sit tight.

ShatnersBassoon Mon 26-Sep-16 07:00:17

Just wait. They have a slightly complicated situation that will make firm and deciding discussions less easy, so having to wait an extra day or three for a response really shouldn't worry you.

They know you're interested. Chasing them will not make them more likely to accept your offer.

Coconutty Mon 26-Sep-16 07:06:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

elfofftheshelf Mon 26-Sep-16 09:00:04

It's still early days. As others have said she may not have had a chance to speak to her ex-partner. I'd hold off for a couple of days. It's hard, but I would also try not to get too excited it. Based on previous experience, buying a property from a couple who are splitting can get messy and takes time as emotions are often running high and messages between the two aren't always consistent. Hang in there and good luck!

nell15 Mon 26-Sep-16 10:30:23

Thanks - yes I guess it's to do with the split. On Thursday when we viewed the house she seemed keen to sell and said she couldn't afford to keep paying the mortgage She said she would talk to her ex p and get back us the next day. Which she hasn't
I feel so frustrated and disappointed
She is about 24 and told us she'd made a big mistake buying a house together and they've only been it a year. It wasn't an amicable split either.

I wonder if I should set our offer out on paper with what I see as the plosives - no chain, already sold our house, no mortgage, if we do it this way she has no est agent fees and put it through her letterbox and also email it to her mum too who contacted me in the first place. Then leave it at that.
Or just drop a quick email to her mum saying hi how's it going - any thoughts on our offer?

PotatoBread Mon 26-Sep-16 10:35:20

No, don't email her mum. You need just to do nothing for a day or two and just wait rather than pester them.

If it's not an amicable split she may not have been able to discuss it properly with her ex-DP yet.

Sit tight until tomorrow at least

Gobbolinothewitchscat Mon 26-Sep-16 10:38:18

Don't involve her mum, for goodness sake.

You'll just need to sit tight. These situations are very fraught and pressure from you is likely to make a party who is digging their heels in (perhaps the ex) more intransigent.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Mon 26-Sep-16 10:39:14

Tbh OP it's more likely that one half of the split is being an absolute arse, doesn't want to sell the house and/or wants to make things as difficult as possible for the other person. The whole process may take longer than normal.

<bitter experience>

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 26-Sep-16 10:42:56

I'd imagine the ex is being difficult about selling. Or their relationship is so bad she hasnt been able to tell him yet.

Personally I would email the mum, bearing in mind you have been already.

nell15 Mon 26-Sep-16 12:00:25

Could it be that she'd been hoping to get a bigger offer from us - hence her not responding?

HarryPottersMagicWand Mon 26-Sep-16 12:06:48

You need to back off!

There was nothing wrong with your offer. You know it wasn't an amicable split and you want to pester her about your offer. The only thing you are going to do is make yourself look desperate and possibly annoy them. I know it would me. She has other things going on right now.

Do nothing. As you have been told on this thread. Do not email the mum and do not send another message outlining why you would good buyers. They already know that. You don't need to say it again.

You need to wait. Buying from a dividing couple where the split isn't amicable will be problematic enough so if they do accept your offer you need to accept you may be in it for the long haul.

PotatoBread Mon 26-Sep-16 12:29:40

I think if they were hoping to get a bigger offer they would just email and say so rather than purposely not respond. It's not as if you offered an unreasonably low sum.

You're going to have to require a bit of patience if you want to buy a house successfully.

Dumbled Mon 26-Sep-16 22:46:43

Maybe she doesn't really want to sell and is trying find a way to keep the house? Maybe it's all too much emotionally too

nell15 Tue 27-Sep-16 09:32:43

Yes Dumblled* that's what I'm thinking.

PotatoBread Tue 27-Sep-16 10:05:22

Still no word back? If not, then I think it's perfectly reasonable to send one last email asking if they have considered your offer and if they wish to accept and that you need to know by the end of the week or else you will have to withdraw and pursue other avenues.

YelloDraw Tue 27-Sep-16 10:39:43

^ This

nell15 Tue 27-Sep-16 11:59:19

Hi all
I had an email saying there'd been problems at home and she's meeting her ex p tonight to discuss our offersmile fingers crossed
I would have done as you suggested Potatoebread if I'd not heard today.

I'll update tomorrow.

nell15 Wed 28-Sep-16 21:28:04

No response from vendor .,... I wait.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now