Talk

Advanced search

Replacement Crittal windows - how much?

(8 Posts)
Infinitygirl Sat 24-Sep-16 17:12:03

Has any one bought Crittal windows recently? If so, how much does it cost per window? We're looking for a ballpark figure really before phoning round companies.

The house is 1936 and the previous owners replaced 2 of the originals with horrible, non-matching modern windows. We want to restore it with exactly matching Crittal windows - or a very good copy.

Any idea how much we'd be looking at and any recommendations for companies who don't overprice or mess you around?

lalalonglegs Sat 24-Sep-16 17:19:14

I haven't bought any in years but, iirc, you get in touch with the Crittal company and they send you a list of suppliers who all pretty much charge the same price. I seem to remember that they send a catalogue with some of their "standard" windows and that had prices you could expect to pay.

GrubbyWindows Sun 25-Sep-16 10:50:17

What lala said.
5 years ago I was quoted 5k for 3 crittals, one a small bathroom window, one ordinary and one large. In the end we went with aluminium ones for 3k, which look very nearly as nice, and insulate a bit better.

ChablisTyrant Sun 25-Sep-16 11:21:19

We replaced some at about £1k a window. there are relatively few suppliers. We went for double glazed crittal but you can get original style single glazed too if you want to put stained glass in. Very happy with ours.

GrubbyWindows Sun 25-Sep-16 21:58:01

Don't you have to be listed to be allowed to put single glazed in?

NetballHoop Sun 25-Sep-16 23:15:41

We replaced our 1930's crittels with new double glazed steel windows last year. The new windows look really good and the house is SOOOO much warmer. Externally they look like crittals though the leads are only stuck inside the extrnal pane. Unless your property is of historic importance I'd go for double glazed.

We had to replace quite a few of the wooden frames as well so it was quite expensive. I don't have the prices to hand though.
We went with these people who travelled to us to fit them (we are not in the Cotswolds) : www.cotswold-casements.co.uk/

On the scale of things we've done to improve our life in this house the new windows is in the top three for how much better it has made our lives.

Infinitygirl Mon 26-Sep-16 10:53:18

Thanks for all the advice. Chablis, which company did you use for your replacement Crittals?

We want the replacements to match the other windows so that the house front looks symmetrical. We can't yet afford to replace all the windows, even though the original Crittals are cold and single-paned and prone to condensation.

So in the meantime, if they're replicas of what we've already got, double glazed Crittals sound good, if they match.

ChablisTyrant Thu 29-Sep-16 22:50:30

We used Wenban-Smith who were the approved suppliers in our part of the world. Had a great experience. Just go on the crittall Windows website and you may find there is only one or two suppliers that cover your postcode.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now