WWYD with this hearth and windows this shape?

(15 Posts)
Chillywhippet Fri 23-Sep-16 20:56:15

Just bought new house, built in 1950s. Want to fit woodburner but unsure about the huge slab of stone?

Ignoring the fake leaded glazing, what suggestions do you have for blinds and/or curtains for Windows that are wide but not tall like this:

Palomb Fri 23-Sep-16 20:57:36

Move the rad and put doors in the window space 👍🏼

Chillywhippet Fri 23-Sep-16 21:05:21

Palomb, you are right about doors. Here's the dining room next door with doors out on to big sunny terrace.
But there is another rad which should make way for more doors confused

SwedishEdith Fri 23-Sep-16 21:11:16

That floor! envy

operationunkown Fri 23-Sep-16 21:12:09

Regards the window if you want to keep it as a window. I like the multiple blind look. Like these but different fabric of course. I've seen this combines with oversized curtains as Well which can look fab.

I'd have to move that rad though so it would at least be in the middle.

Regarding the wood burner what style are you going for the free standing style or the insert style?

wowfudge Fri 23-Sep-16 21:19:45

Is the rad off centre to accommodate a TV in the corner? A more modern style of wood burner or multi fuel stove would look great.

Chillywhippet Fri 23-Sep-16 21:47:57

Ha. Hadn't even clocked that the rad wasn't in the middle of the window!

There will be a sofa in front of the rad for now so will try not to notice.

The TV will be on the right on the fireplace.

operation triple blinds is a good idea. I think the blinds will have to go outside the window recess, otherwise the Windows will even shorter.

The house is really light though.

operationunkown Fri 23-Sep-16 22:08:12

I've got a similar set up in my dining room. I'll try and take a photo. I over mounted mine (above the window ) so when they are folded up they leave the window virtually uncovered which let's loads of light in. I then have contrasting full length curtains (cause it's a dining room - no sofa). Plus it makes the room lovely and warm / a bit grand. Which suits the style of the house / room.

I've also seen the same style done where the bottom of the blind is a more transparent fabric. I'll see if I still have the photos (did a load of research before I made mine)

Its a gorgeous room btw

Chillywhippet Fri 23-Sep-16 22:47:57

Thanks operation - overmounted. Good to know what it's called.
The living room has another window opposite that one and is big enough to have sofa fAr enough from curtains to have them behind.

A photo would be great if you come across one

operationunkown Fri 23-Sep-16 22:53:37

I'll try and take one tommorow (no point in the dark).

Terribly cheeky but do you have any more photos? It looks gorgeous and I fancy living vicariously I love the moving in, decorating, designing, working stages. After which I get a bit border and tend to sell and move.

Agrestic Fri 23-Sep-16 23:07:51

I would go for the triple blind look. The slab would look nice with if it was edged in wood to match the floor.

Dining room blinds on small Windows with matching curtains. Probably with a wave heading as they stack back very nicely and look very modern. If that's the look you want to go for. They would look nice at a shorter length for the living room too.

Re the blinds - if you have them made you can specify how small you'd like them to pull up to. A 'normal' size when pulled would be about 7.5 inches. If you mount it slightly higher only a few inches of window would be blocked when up which is nothing really. If you want to do them yourself it's not too hard to work out. Dunno about buying them off the shelf though.

Love that floor!!

ButteredToastAndStrawberryJam Fri 23-Sep-16 23:46:13

I have the leaded light windows, never got around to testing it but I think you can get the lead off with a sharp scraper.

Chillywhippet Mon 26-Sep-16 19:39:13

Thanks everyone. Some great ideas to be getting on with.
Just packing to do!

MiaowTheCat Tue 27-Sep-16 07:44:00

I've just got those day and night blinds for our bay window and I love the options they give you in terms of not having to clean bloody millions of slats like venetian blinds but still having the part-closed kind of option that they're great for.

That off-centre radiator would drive me nuts!

The flooring is gorgeous btw!

scaryteacher Tue 27-Sep-16 08:25:47

The slab will stop any sparks from the woodburner if you're having a freestanding one. If you are having a cassette (inset) one, the same applies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now