Small extension(14 Posts)
Looking at knocking 3 rooms into 1 to make a kitchen diner and adding a downstairs toilet.
It's an end terrace so not a massive job but the cost of the building work alone would leave a tight budget for the kitchen units(quite small )flooring,patio door,velux and toilet and sink.its just about doeable if I'm a clever shopper and no expected costs!
This would use all my savings though,which I could gradually save again a bit every month
If it was you would you just do it or save a bit more over next 6 months or longer to have bit more of a cushion?
It would defo make a better living space and I know I won't lose money on the house but think maybe I'm being a bit impatient and what's another 6 months ???
Also,how many builders quotes would you get?finding it hard to get a figure from them
Thanks for any advice
Get an architect technician to draw up plans so all builders are quoting for the same thing.
Get 3 builders to quote
Wait 6 months and save a bit extra unexpected things always come up!
Bear in mind by the time you have proper plans and have selected a builder and they are ready to start you'll probably find 3 months have passed already!
I'd not want to start this coming into winter so I'd spend winter finalising plans with an architect and sourcing a builder and start late april/may time. Not only will you save more but the thought of all this going in mid winter when I'd just want to relax indoors would put me off
It's only going to take 5/6 weeks so if start next month will be done by Dec
I think you're right though to wait
Does your current budget include a contingency? I'd want to continue saving until I had 15% contingency (which you will spend!) and a kitchen I'm happy with. Also ask the builders when they can actually start as many have 6 month + waiting times atm
I'd be wary about using a builder who was available to start next month unless you have had work done by him before. I'd expect a 2 month job and a good builder to mean you are looking at 6 months. Plus getting architects to quote, to draw up plans including building reg grade ones, builders to quote, structural engineer if necessary (not all walls come down without an impact) will take 2 months ?
I've got the architect plans,planning has gone in.i haven't paid for the structural engineer as waiting to see costs of build first.
I have been planning/organising for last couple of months but have been waiting on quotes from builders.
I just hadn't realised it would cost so much(near £20.000)
Builders have been recommended and they've had a cancellation which is why they're free.
I'm waiting on another builder for a quote
I'm also getting quotes for kitchens,doors etc
I feel it's all getting a bit rushed before it starts even though I think I've been organised
Never done this before and on my own so tis a bit stressful.
Thanks for advice so far
The only thing stopping me to not go ahead next money is money and risk of running out
Can I ask what's included in the £20k?
They say that's about how much an ordinary extension costs.
I ask because I've been vaguely thinking about having one done myself but haven't got as far as ringing anyone.
Financially, waiting would seem wise, but I would go bonkers if I had to sit there thinking about all my refurb plans for a further six months. Plus, if good builders have had a cancellation and are suddenly free (assuming they're not spinning you a line), then I'd be inclined to get them to do it now.
even though there's only a tiny amount of building out to square it off there's 2 weight bearing walls to remove
It's 6 weeks of work(not sure how long a single storey from scratch would take )
Includes most things apart from kitchen ,floor velux Windows doors etc
Going to get some more quotes and make a decision
Be careful going with a team who 'suddenly become free next week ' type of thing ! I know it can sometimes pan out that way - but it could well be a line for a build team who just roam from
disaster to disaster job to job. ----
Wait a bit longer and get a team who are booked well in advance ... good tradespeople are really worth waiting for !! This is your biggest investment !!
Apologies OP - sounds like you've got everything covered.
2 builders, 6 weeks = £9000
Steels probably £500-1000
Building regs maybe £500 (I don't understand their price scale)
Price sounds ok to me.
And skips are surprisingly expensive..
As you're a terrace I'd assume there are party wall awards to be drawn up, so you need to budget for that too. You have to pay the fees incurred by your neighbours PW surveyors as well as your own, and they are pencilled in to take 8 weeks, so you'd need to look into that too - I've seen bills reach £7,000+ for this!
OP Make sure you have a clear list of what is included in the price the builders give you. Ours- who are exceptionally nice- didn't. And it is my fault. I didn;t know we'd have to pay for the skip, for instance. Now the builder is saying that he's quoted us for laying lock and click floor- we want solid wood etc etc. Small things that add up. Also check the price of everything you want- sink, tap, units etc... It all adds up. And neighbours- do you need Party Wall Agreement? If you do- sort it and not let it go to surveyors. If that is unavoidable, then persuade your neighbours to appoint one surveyor who'll act on both your behalves. Otherwise it will get very costly... Good luck. Very exciting though. Prices may go up or down- do it. You can enjoy it for longer and save again!
Join the discussion
Please login first.