Advanced search

Renting a house in London

(9 Posts)
Arty3542 Mon 19-Sep-16 21:22:45

Hi all,

We're moving from the States and found a rental property in Hampstead. What does a tenant have to pay outside of the monthly fees? For example: electricity, heating, etc. Does a landlord ever offer to pay the monthly council tax?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We don't want to get ripped off... shock

purpleladybird Mon 19-Sep-16 21:28:49

It is unusual for utility bills to be included and you will have to pay council tax. The exception is that a landlord usually covers the service charge if it is a flat or managed property.

YelloDraw Mon 19-Sep-16 21:42:26

Extreemly unusual for the LL to cover anything like council tax.

Elec and gas
Council tax
Tv license

specialsubject Tue 20-Sep-16 09:28:01

A good way to avoid a ripoff (more likely in london due to desperate demand) is to read the government guidance for tenants. It is called how to rent and you will find it on the site.

Your landlord must give you a copy, but due to cocked up legislation not until the tenancy starts.

And yes, you pay all the bills on a standard let.

Artandco Tue 20-Sep-16 09:34:34

Usually you pay for all bills ontop

Only if you live in a communal flat some have heating and hot water included as its on a communal heating system

FloraFox Tue 20-Sep-16 09:36:38

Are you renting through an agent? Generally you will pay all costs other than the rent and the service fees (if any). There are also one-off costs like inventory check fees you may need to pay (often this is split with the LL) or credit check fees. LLs seldom pay for any utilities and if they are planning to (eg cable) they likely would have advertised that with the rental. Best to check the lease or ask the agent.

wowowowow Tue 20-Sep-16 09:55:43

My advice would be to be very particular during the check in / inventory because as sure as heck the agent will be ultra ultra careful when you eventually check out and every paint chip will be noted.

I used to take photographs and email them to the agents as proof of condition.

FloraFox Tue 20-Sep-16 10:12:27

I agree with wow. Make sure your deposit is held by an adjudication agency. I avoided a very expensive claim from a LL because I had taken pictures and sent them to the agent at the start of a tenancy.

specialsubject Tue 20-Sep-16 14:26:59

It is illegal for the deposit not to be protected in one of the three official schemes.

The adjudication in case of dispute is independent. It is for the landlord to raise any deductions and the tenant to dispute if required. It is then for the landlord to prove deductions needed - i.e damage, not wear and tear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now