Advanced search

Length of flexible metal to go over gate?!

(9 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 13-Sep-16 13:05:29

I feel really daft asking this but where would I get a basic (ideally cheap!) length of flexible metal to attach over my 6ft curved garden gate?

My passionflower is currently growing across the gate (trellis either side) and I'd like to create an attractive leafy arch above the gate smile

I had a tentative look in Wickes the other day but couldn't find anything appropriate confused

It needs to be about 150cm long. Width doesn't matter (<2") as long as it's strong enough to support the plant. I've tried wire but it obviously sags. I was planning to screw the metal into the 6ft trellis on either side. The main weight of the plant will be carried by the trellis flowers

PigletJohn Tue 13-Sep-16 14:16:19

I think it's called fence railing. You need strong posts for it, it will break off if fixed just to the top of a fence or gate.

I have seen it in curved-top sections. It is probably 1800mm long to suit ordinary fencepost spacing. Trellis topping is more common.

can't find a link for the curved one but example

HaveYouSeenHerLately Tue 13-Sep-16 18:40:12

Thanks PigletJohn!

I'm actually just looking for the most basic of basic, literally a length of metal that's nice and flexible grin I'm not sure which building/ DIY department I would obtain it from!

The passionflower is trained and pruned to keep a nice tight shape and light screen. I'll only allow a couple of shoots to arch over the gate and train them to fan out to cover the next section of trellis.

I just need something a bit stronger than wire to attach above the gate (6.5ft ish) to support the two or three shoots. I thought if I got something flexible I could mimic the curved gate. I doesn't have to be metal but I thought plastic might shatter in colder temperatures.

Sprig1 Tue 13-Sep-16 19:39:48

Just go to a builder's merchant (Buildbase or similar) and explain what you are after. They will have something appropriate.

CanadianJohn Tue 13-Sep-16 19:41:16

I was thinking plastic; it's possible to get flexible plastic pipe for underground sprinkler systems. It's good down to about -40º

I don't know how pretty it would be, but presumably you are counting on your plants to disguise it.

engineersthumb Tue 13-Sep-16 21:39:11

You could try a length of mild steel flat bar 30x3mm from a steel stockists (clifda/parker steel/industrial Metal Services). Over that distance it will take a curve quite easily. For a true cure it would need to be put through a set of rolls - though id use a heavier section if you have access to a set of rolls. If you are happy with a flat arch push it roughly into position and mark where the bar intersects the posts, use a bolster or a chisel to kink the ends over. Just estimate the angle - its soft enough adjust with a little tap.
If you are really dedicated you could form the section more accurately between a row of screws or bolts in a sheet of ply/bench top.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Wed 14-Sep-16 00:21:47

Thanks sprig, CanadianJohn and engineers that's given me some ideas!

Catsgowoof Wed 14-Sep-16 09:40:59

maybe somethong like the diy cold frames yôu see on allotments. 2 vertical bamboo cames with a peice of hose pipe threaded over each end so it curves in the middle. like this

HaveYouSeenHerLately Thu 22-Sep-16 21:09:30

Cats that looks ideal! THANK YOU! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now