Advanced search

In considerate neighbours

(10 Posts)
Smiler77 Tue 13-Sep-16 10:32:53

How do I find out if my neighbour needed planning permission to build an enormous shed right outside my kitchen window, blocking out the light?
I've looked at the council website and found that he didn't apply for any, but how can I clarify whether he should have done?

WhatWouldCoachBombayDo Tue 13-Sep-16 10:37:23

If its under 2.5m tall he didn't need planning permission for a wooden structure close to the boundary wall.

Is the shed wooden or concrete?

takesnoprisoners Tue 13-Sep-16 10:37:28

Call the council?

Smiler77 Tue 13-Sep-16 11:05:56

It's a wooden fence with a taller, self built and monstrous looking shed behind the fence. The fence surrounds this but is sticking out into the road as well. It's pretty hard to explain really. would someone from the council need to come and have a look or would it help if I sent photos of the whole thing?
The joke is that I've just inherited my property and need a quick sale. what he has done with the space of a weekend has made my buyer pull out and is putting off any prospective new ones.

Seeline Tue 13-Sep-16 11:13:20

this link from the planning portal may help you.
Whether the shed is wood, concrete, brick or anything else has no impact on whether planning permission is required - that is Building Regs.
THe Council will send an Enforcement Officer round to check if you report it to them.
I can't really tell from your description, but if it is sticking out into the road (a public highway?) or is closer to it than the house is, then PP is likely to be required.
If you want to post a sketch of the set up, it might help.

Smiler77 Tue 13-Sep-16 17:35:52

Thanks Seeline. I'm going to get in touch with someone from building regs tomorrow. Thank you for your advice!

Seeline Wed 14-Sep-16 08:23:05

Smiler - it's the Planning people you want - not Building Regs. Ask to speak to a Planning Enforcement Officer.

Ackeeandsaltfish Wed 14-Sep-16 08:53:16

What about right to light?
Also, how about getting your local councillor involved?

Ackeeandsaltfish Wed 14-Sep-16 09:14:42

Actually, this may be more useful!

Seeline Wed 14-Sep-16 09:23:41

Rights to light are very hard to prove.
Loss of light to a kitchen window is rarely an issue even if PP is required.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now