We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Which drill bit for this job?

(4 Posts)
Ingr Sat 10-Sep-16 17:48:10

New to drilling. I want to hang a really heavy 30's mirror on our loft wall. It's modern plasterboard on battens I believe, against a brick chimney, so there may or may not be a gap behind the plasterboard. The mirror hangs off a visible chain. Which drill bits & which fixings are best? Also, do I always use hammer action into masonry, or only if it's tough? Many thanks.

evrybuddy Sat 10-Sep-16 19:50:54

I would use this sort of fixing www.diy.com/departments/rawlplug-silver-effect-cavity-fixing-dia10mm-pack-of-6/254605_BQ.prd for the mirror.

I would use a general purpose or wood drill bit to go through plasterboard.

Mark the point you are going to drill use a sharp pointed implement to create a guide hole. Perhaps cover it with paper masking tape.

If it was mega heavy, I might try and locate the batten and use an angled screw as a hook - drilling into the batten with a wood drill bit.

If you can't do that, and it's really heavy, maybe use mirror plates and secure the mirror with multiple fixings

I presume you are referring to a different job for the masonry drilling.

I generally don't use hammer action unless it's really tough going - just because my drill screams.

I am not an expert and no liability is accepted for any problems - that's just what I would do.

olderthanyouthink Sat 10-Sep-16 19:58:15

I have consulted my dad on this as i'm only apprentice driller in our house.

You need to either:
- find the battens and screw into them (screw through plasterboard with masonry bit then either drive screw straight into the wood or drill a small hole with wood bit to be neater).

- or cut holes in plasterboard, fix wood to wall in the void and repair the plasterboard over the top, then hang mirror on the new wood using the method above. (This option is for if there isn't batten in the place you want)

Screw must be long enough to be really securely in the wood and protrude just enough to loop the chain over.

PigletJohn Sat 10-Sep-16 21:39:09

if it is plasterboard on brick, it might be on battens, but is more likely to be on dot and dab.

If you tap it with your knuckles and listen carefully you might be able to identify where the dabs or battens are.

If battens, there will be nails every foot or so, in straight lines. You might be able to feel the dimples with your fingertips, or to see them when the light is falling across the surface. Possibly you will detect them with a magnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now