Talk

Advanced search

Is hanging wallpaper easy?

(15 Posts)
WhatILoved Sat 10-Sep-16 14:49:53

Hi
I just want to hang some liner paper under my dado so I can paint over it. Have stripped back and walls are ok, don't have cash to get a plasterer in and don't want to pay someone to do something if it is easy enough to do. Is it too difficult to do for a novice diy-er? It's not just the cost... I have had reputable (recommended by word of mouth or checkatrade) tradespeople round who really are not interested in such a small job. Ie they would want to do painting too and this I can Deffo do. Could risk it by putting job on my builder etc

Allalonenow Sat 10-Sep-16 15:01:48

I'd say if you can paint then you can wallpaper.

Get a fold up pasting table to work from. Measure carefully and allow for shrinkage. Buy good quality paste and follow the instructions for it.

Have a look at B&Q website or instore, they will have instrution sheets available.

All together now "When Father papered the parlour....."

JT05 Sat 10-Sep-16 16:00:18

Under a dado is not a difficult job, especially if you are going to paint over. If you are using an encrusted paper then you will have to match the pattern. The important thing is to get each piece vertical. There's lots of helpful videos on the Internet.

SaggyNaggy Sat 10-Sep-16 16:10:19

First time I did it I hated it, its horrible and incredibly difficult. I will NEVER do it again EVER. I'd rather pay and watch someone do it.

SauvignonPlonker Sat 10-Sep-16 16:40:16

I used to wallpaper about 20 years ago, when it was fashionable.

I think it depends on how straight your walls are - I had an old Victorian tenement & they were not. High ceilings can be tricky, and it also depends on how expensive the wallpaper you're using will be.

This time, I just paid someone else to do it.

bouncydog Sat 10-Sep-16 17:18:09

Definately pay someone else to do it imo. I tried once and after 3 hours couldn't get one piece on the wall!

WhatILoved Sun 11-Sep-16 07:46:02

Wow lots of different responses! Thanks all. Yeah no way am I attempting up to ceiling. Just under dado so I think I will give it a shot, if I don't try I guess I will never know! X

8misskitty8 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:27:45

Get paste the wall paper and ready made paste for it. You won't need a paste table or anything.
Just put paste on the wall and then you put the paper on the wall, no need to put any extra paste on the paper either.
I put paper up in my house a few months ago, never papered before and it looks great.
Best stuff ever invented for decorating is paste the wall paper.

Robinkitty Sun 11-Sep-16 14:33:34

I managed to wallpaper a feature wall around a fireplace whilst looking after a baby and 2 kids. No experience I just watched videos on you tube. It was hard but not impossible and I had to match a pattern and go round the fireplace. I did a good job, very pleased with myself.

Robinkitty Sun 11-Sep-16 14:34:23

And I agree with paste the wall paper!

sophie1985 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:40:32

It's only lining paper. Just do it! It's cheap bid it looks shit just tear it down. Least you tried.

sophie1985 Sun 11-Sep-16 14:40:57

^and if it

LugsTheDog Sun 11-Sep-16 14:59:25

Do it! My mum taught me. In your position I'd do lots of youtubing first.

Pasting the paper is not difficult. Align edge of paper with edge of table to avoid making too much mess. Wallpaper paste is mostly water and very forgiving.

Get the thickest lining paper you can find.

WeAllHaveWings Sun 11-Sep-16 15:21:50

Hanging thick paste the wall paper is easy peasy . We tried lining paper once and never again. I would prefer over filling holes with plaster and sanding when dry than badly hung lining paper. You need to fill bigger holes anyway as lining paper doesnt hide all sins.

JT05 Sun 11-Sep-16 16:26:26

You can get lining paper that is thick and has a whiter side that is meant to be painted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now