Advanced search

AIBU about wanting to get this checked over?

(7 Posts)
phoria Thu 08-Sep-16 19:15:11

Quite close to exchange on a flat but things have been held up (surprise, surprise!). I'd like to get the electrics checked before exchange seeing as we're just waiting around anyway. Yes I know I should've done this earlier! Seller is refusing. AIBU to want this done before exchange?

YelloDraw Thu 08-Sep-16 19:23:44

Well maybe they feel you'll use it to try and negotiate down if they find something, but it's not U to want to get the electrics checked. Depends who holds the cards - can you walk away and get something else if they refuse?

phoria Thu 08-Sep-16 19:27:23

Yeah i can understand it from their point of view but it's so late in the day it would be madness to renegotiate unless it was something major.

Mmm, good question!

bilbodog Thu 08-Sep-16 20:43:52

I dont understand why you have waited until you are so close to exchange before asking to have the electrics checked? How old is the property and has it been modernised in the last 10 years? Basically the only houses that will be 100 % up to date will be new builds or a house that has been renovated within the last 5 years. Electric rules get updated all the time. Unless you have reason to believe there are serious problems lurking i would be inclined to leave it until i moved in. You might only need to upgrade the fuse box which isnt a big deal in terms of buying a house.

phoria Thu 08-Sep-16 20:46:14

Yeah, I wasn't going to bother but then I read an article about how electrics repairs can costs thousands so I thought I might as well check now. I think it's around 30 years old.

bilbodog Thu 08-Sep-16 21:58:03

Have you asked the vendors if they have done any works to electrics since they moved in? Also are you planning to do any major works to the house because if you are then electrics could be upgraded as part of this.

Spickle Fri 09-Sep-16 08:34:01

Generally, it is a good idea to get the electrics checked before exchange. You are correct that electrical problems can cost a lot to repair so, like a structural survey, an electrical survey will highlight any maintenance and upgrades needed, which could mean a renegotiation of the price.

However, there is no legal requirement in England/Wales to have an electrical report and obviously if you want to have the survey done before exchange, you have to get the vendor's permission for access. At this stage of the transaction, I can understand why the vendor is unwilling to allow it. The survey will cost you around £150/200.

I have not had electrical surveys done on any of my previous purchases as I have taken the view that on an older house, there will always be maintenance to do and on our most recent purchase, a total refurb was necessary so a full rewire was included in our budget. I would get an electrical survey done next time though, but at the same time as the structural survey, which is the right time to reconsider the purchase price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now