Talk

Advanced search

How much is to install electric central heating system?

(6 Posts)
Mikkalina Thu 08-Sep-16 11:08:29

We are interested in one place to buy and it is quite old. They still have electric heaters from 1960s I think. How do I find out how much it would cost to change all the wall heaters and the boiler as well? I have checked online prices for the Dimplex heaters UPX range and they cost about 120 pounds per one. That flat might need 5. Unfortunately it is much easier with the gas heating systems. You go online, give some details and then they give you the costs for everything and here I do not know what to look for. Plus cost for the installation. If anyone can help I would be really grateful as we see the agents tomorrow and don't know what to say.
Many thanks.

Pradaqueen Thu 08-Sep-16 11:21:40

You can install a 'wet' electrical system with a boiler and normal rads? I installed one in a one bed large Victorian flat with no gas connection (it takes 14+weeks to get connected and it needed renting out quickly to be viable) and it cost £3100 including new pottern boiler, cylinder, rads, pipe work and all associated plumbing and fitting costs for a new bathroom (I supplied the plumbing fittings) and kitchen plumbing so I can't split out the exact cost but this is the ballpark.

specialsubject Thu 08-Sep-16 12:49:14

is there a gas supply to the property? Electric heating is very expensive, so if you are going to be replacing the system anyway, gas would be better. Or oil if there is outdoor space for a tank.

Mikkalina Thu 08-Sep-16 13:56:56

Thank you Pradaqueen and specialsubject.

It looks from the description and pictures that there is electrical heating only. I know that electrical heating is more expensive but the properties are very overpriced in my area and we cannot afford most of them.

I will have to research wet electrical system as I have no idea what is that but thank you for the price guidance. I also know that our current thermal store cylinder (not boiler) costs about 900 pounds. Plus installation and it could go over 3,000.00.
Not sure what else will needed to be done in this apartment. It says in the advert that the apartment needs some cosmetic update. That could be anything. Will find out tomorrow.

Pradaqueen Thu 08-Sep-16 14:39:47

Wet electrical is normal rads run off an electric boiler. It avoids the need for storage heaters which often aren't as instantaneous as water filled rads.

Mikkalina Thu 08-Sep-16 14:46:13

Prada, many thanks. I do not like the night storage heaters and that apartment looks like that is what they are going to have and probably something from 40 years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now