Talk

Advanced search

Annie Sloan worth it or a waste of money??

(8 Posts)
cbigs Thu 08-Sep-16 11:00:02

Hi all I'm going to upcycle a Welsh dresser is it worth buying expensive paint or is the b and q timeless range as good? ( any upcycling tips appreciated too)smile

90daychallenger Thu 08-Sep-16 11:02:19

Annie Sloan is ridiculous rip-off. Make your own chalk paint, it's just latex paint and chalk. Make sure you make enough in one batch though because it doesn't come out quite the same texture each time you make it. I have a chest of drawers where the top half is ever so slightly thicker than the bottom half. You can't tell, it looks fine. But I know!

JT05 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:04:45

I use water based satin wood paint, which gives a nice finish that I'm happy with. It all depends on the finish you want.

cbigs Thu 08-Sep-16 12:41:25

Thanks guys that's helpful , I want a solid painted finish I think really... But it's helped me decide not to bother with poncey brands so thanks! grin

Nicky883 Thu 08-Sep-16 12:46:31

I loved annie sloan the finish was excactly how i wanted it to be ! Yes its expensive but in my opinion is worth is if you want that vintage distress look

Sighsofthetimes Thu 08-Sep-16 13:26:29

Annie Sloan every time if you want consistently good results and colour match. And a tin goes a long way!

cbigs Thu 08-Sep-16 18:06:50

Crikey well that's muddied the waters! confused

dontcallmelen Fri 09-Sep-16 20:34:51

Hi Op I think it's very dependent on the finished look you want if, as pp said a solid looking finish then a water based eggshell or satin, if you want a more distressed type of finish then either Annie Sloan or Rustoleom give a more chalky effect, if you use either of those you, also need to wax once paint has dried to protect it from flaking off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now