Talk

Advanced search

Gutters

(7 Posts)
HandbagFan Wed 07-Sep-16 16:45:35

Hello

Have a man coming tomorrow to quote on cleaning our gutters. Have no idea how much I should be expecting - it's a 30s semi. How much does anyone else pay?

Thanks!

HelpfulChap Wed 07-Sep-16 16:59:04

Is he cleaning the actual gutters or just removimg moss/leaves from inside them? The latter requires no tools so should just be the cost of Labour. No more than a couple of hours work. Unless he starts getting all Health & Saftey on you and won't do it with just a ladder.

What does 2 hours manual labour cost?

HandbagFan Wed 07-Sep-16 17:08:25

Cleaning out all the gunk (shamefully been here years and never touched them!) and then flushing water through.

Trades always cost more than I expect - hourly rates rarely seem to apply!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 07-Sep-16 17:13:10

"getting all Health & Saftey "

You do realise that the building industry is proportionately the most dangerous industry in the UK to work in and that 35 people were killed in the building industry in 2015. Of 65,000 building industry injuries last year, nearly 20% were caused by falling from height. So that's around 13,000 injuries. Ladders are no longer considered a safe working environment. For very good reason.

HelpfulChap Wed 07-Sep-16 19:25:38

Fair enough. I've done my own gutters with a ladder since 1978 and haven't fallen off yet but I get your point.

If someone wants a to put up scaffolding to do clean your gutters it will cost considerably more.

There are firms that use a lorry with a big suction thing on the back. No idea how much they cost though.

LifeIsGoodish Wed 07-Sep-16 22:48:41

Our window cleaner does it with long brushes and pressure hoses - no ladders. He charged £35 last autumn.

HandbagFan Wed 07-Sep-16 22:50:01

Thanks! Some googling suggests £40-75. We have a conservatory he'll have to work around and he's coming out specifically for the job rather than doing our windows too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now