Talk

Advanced search

Painter has used a 10% mist coat

(7 Posts)
zeddybrek Tue 06-Sep-16 20:16:52

Hi All

We have had our new house freshly plastered and my understanding is that the mist coat should be diluted paint. However the painter said he only added a little bit of water, about 10%. He is using Dulux trade matt white.

We have waited ages for this house and I am gutted as the paint might not look as good as I had hoped.

Can someone please tell me what the difference in the final look will be as a result of this?

Thank you.

wowfudge Tue 06-Sep-16 21:30:39

I did this in our old bathroom. It was fine. I think 10% is what Dulux Trade says on the tin.

lalalonglegs Tue 06-Sep-16 21:58:03

If you put much more water, the paint ends up like milk and running down the walls.

LyraMortalia Tue 06-Sep-16 22:03:30

That's what I do

zeddybrek Wed 07-Sep-16 20:31:09

Thank you, I was so worried!

Palomb Wed 07-Sep-16 21:41:02

I googled the hell out of this recently and every single reccomendation was different. We used 50/50 and it was fine but there were posts reccomending everything from 10% to 70% dilution. I recon they would have all been okay.

I think the aim is to get the paint to absorb In to the plaster rather than sitting on top of it.

zeddybrek Wed 07-Sep-16 23:03:17

Thanks Palomb!

It does seem to be the case.

I saw the house today with the mist coat and one coat. Second coat is being done next week and so far it looks good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now